The Award Winning Newspaper of Mercy College

Pancake Day!

I am dedicating this post to Pancake day! Which for this year is celebrated in England on the 28th of February and can also be known as Shrove Tuesday. In traditions it is known as the feast day before the start of Lent on Ash Wednesday. So I thought I would share my way for making the perfect fluffy pancakes and some of my personal favourite toppings.

SERVINGS: 9 LARGE PANCAKES PREP TIME: 5 MINUTES COOK TIME: 10 MINUTES DIFFICULTY: EASY PEASY

• YOU WILL NEED…
  • 6 Large Free Range Eggs
  • 230g Plain Flour
  • 2 Heaped Teaspoons Baking Powder
  • 280ml Milk
  • 2 Pinches Salt

Separate the egg whites from the yolks and place in separate bowls. Whisk egg whites with salt until it has formed stiff peaks (use a hand mixer to save time and your arms). In the other bowl, add sifted flour to egg yolks, followed by baking powder and milk. Beat together until mixed well. Fold the egg white mixture into this bowl, being careful not to lose too much air so it stays fluffy and whipped. Using a ladle, spoon the mixture into a non-stick frying pan on a medium to low heat (too hot and the pancakes won’t cook properly throughout and will burn in places). I don’t use butter or oil, I just make sure my pan is pancake friendly so it won’t stick. After a couple of minutes if you notice little bubbles popping to the surface, it’s about time to flip the pancake. I use a plastic spatula and make sure the pancake has loosened from the pan before flipping. The pancakes should be an even golden colour. I normally place them in a stack on a plate before getting creative with fillings and toppings!

One of my favourite things about pancakes is the freedom you have with making them all so different. Decorating them is definitely the most exciting part and I feel like you can get your creative skills out.

The Fruit & Yoghurt

This is probably the pancake I tend to make the most. This is quite a light filling as opposed to cream or ice cream and slightly healthier. Spread a little bit of yoghurt between each layer and fill with your favourite fruit. I tend to go for berries because I am an absolute sucker for these but this would also work well with more exotic fruit too. I then tend to put a dollop of yoghurt on top and a handful of fruit, topped with a drizzle of honey and a light dusting of icing sugar! Obviously you can substitute the greek yoghurt for soya, natural or flavoured depending on how you feel or what you have lurking in the fridge.

The Chocolate Overdose

This one is probably best eaten as a desert as it’s high on the sweet-tooth scale (although I’m certainly not one to judge if you were to eat this for breakfast, they serve things similar in i-Hop after all). This is for those of you who love Nutella on your pancakes. Between each pancake is a smothering of Nutella and a handful of mini marshmallows and white chocolate chips. I decided to drizzle chocolate dipping sauce on top, but you can always go for chocolate sauce (the kind you squeeze on ice creams) or melt some chocolate if you have a bit more time. If you have a favourite chocolate bar or biscuit, this is where you can incorporate it into the pancakes.

The Classic

Scaling it down from the chocolate overdose by about a mile, it wouldn’t be a pancake post without the traditional lemon and sugar pancakes. Always best with real lemons as opposed to bottled lemon juice and caster sugar for a lovely light dusting. I like to slice lemons and place them on top so whist you are eating them you have the choice to squeeze a bit more juice where needed and it looks pretty too. A lot of people’s favourite and something slightly less filling!

Will you be putting down the bottled pancake batter this year and giving these a go on Shrove Tuesday?