The Award Winning Newspaper of Mercy College

American Horror Story Starting To Lose Steam In Season Six

Entertaining and a borderline spoof but far from a master piece, the sixth season of American Horror Story holds some promise with storytelling and characters depth, however it falls short to bring bone chilling supernatural scares that keep you up at night.

Season six starts off as a mockumentary with the cliché story of a couple moving to a giant old house in the middle of the woods. The two main actors, Cuba Gooding Jr. and Sara Paulson, play the mixed couple of Mr. and Ms. Miller. Racial tensions rise as Mr. Miller’s sister played by Angela Bassett comes into the picture. She does an impressive job of playing the washed up, paranoid, tough ex-cop charter. Her personality collides with Ms. Miller a spoiled, calm, housewife.

It is interesting to see how the female characters behaviors and qualities differ. Definitely the best trait the show has to offer. Ironically, unlike past season’s American Horror Story, season six would not be the same without Angela Bassett. As you might guess soon they are haunted, hunted and harassed by in-breads, pig and cow people, mind-bending spell’s raining teeth, old lady butchers and creepy twin ghost nurses.

When you put all the jump scares in a list like that it’s almost humorous. Like Pig and cow people? Seriously? The whole show seems like it’s supposed to be somehow funny, but it lacks any laugh out loud jokes.

The show has the odd style of different younger actors being interviewed and explaining what happens as they talk to the camera. It’s hard to explain unless you see it. An out of the box example be if Kevin Heart explains in the first person what Morgan Freeman is doing. As if he is explaining the future of his older self. It makes no sense at all.

The new season also has multiple references to other famous horror movies that feel forced. Like creepy ghost twin’s in The Shining and stick figures from The Biliar Witch Project. However, the season makes up for its flaws with decent dialogue & complex character conflict. Not to mention the unexpected twist and cliff hanger here and there. Let’s just say it’s not boring while watching it. The biggest thing it has going for it so far is at least it wasn’t the mindless, Lady Ga Ga pandering, blood drenched, German dungeon porn garbage that season five was. Fans of American Horror Story and other cult classics might get a kick out of the new season. American Horror Story airs on FX at 10 p.m. Although most of the cast is yet to show up, American Horror story season six cast consist of such famous of semi well known characters as Kathy Bates, Sarah Paulson, Cuba Gooding Jr., Lily Rabe, André Holland, Denis O’Hare, Wes Bentley, Evan Peters, Cheyenne Jackson and Angela Bassett.