Mary Save Us: Ace Pitcher Aims to Lead Mercy To Playoffs

Chayim Tauber, Sports Editor
March 14, 2013
Filed under Sports

Before all is said and done, Mary Sieber is going to own some Mercy College records. If she ended her athletic career today, she’d still be in Mercy College’s top 5 in six different pitching categories. She is the unquestioned ace of Mercy’s young staff and one of the unquestioned leaders of... Read more »

Like Mike

Like Mike

Chayim Tauber, Sports Editor
February 13, 2013
Filed under Apple Of Knowledge

There aren't many taboos in Basketball. Fight in the stands - done. Stomp on a cameraman's testicles - Rodman took care of that one. How about referencing a player's dead mother/player's wife/a disease the player has - Garnett's done all of those. The one taboo that has remained in Basketball is... Read more »

Jet Revis Out?

Jet Revis Out?

Chayim Tauber, Sports Editor
January 27, 2013
Filed under Apple Of Knowledge

The talk in New York, when it isn't about a make-believe-girlfriend or a lying bicyclist, has been about the possibility of trading All-World cornerback and face-of-the-franchise Darrelle Revis. How can the Jets even talk about jettisoning their best (and only) marquee talent? How can the erosion... Read more »

House In Order: Women’s Basketball Ready To Rebuild And Thrive

Chayim Tauber, Sports Editor
December 9, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Lady Mavericks basketball team has a tall hill to climb this season. They are coming off of a season in which they went 3-23 and had a fractured locker room. Mercy’s done everything to forget last season’s disastrous season; adding Coach Rashidi Aikens, and replacing last season’s scoring... Read more »

When Self Defense Becomes a War Crime

When Self Defense Becomes a War Crime

Chayim Tauber, Sports Editor
November 25, 2012
Filed under Apple Of Knowledge

In the last 12 years, Hamas, a terrorist organization that was elected to Palestinian parliament, has fired more than 12,000 missiles. In the past several weeks, over 650 missiles have been fired into Israel; over two hundred have been intercepted by Israeli's Iron Dome missile defense system according... Read more »

Men’s Soccer Advances To ECC Semifinals

Men’s Soccer Advances To ECC Semifinals

Chayim Tauber, Sports Editor
November 9, 2012
Filed under Sports

One of the things that Mercy College had grown accustomed to over the past few years was a losing soccer season. Years of futility have finally given way to success this season as the Mavericks men’s soccer team powered their way all the way to the ECC semifinals and 10-5-3 record. The Mavericks,... Read more »

Knicks – Reality Check

Knicks – Reality Check

Chayim Tauber, Sports Editor
November 8, 2012
Filed under Apple Of Knowledge

I hate how much I'm about to sound like Stephen A. Smith. It bothers me. I hate to rain on the parade of happiness, the delusional euphoria that Knicks fans are happily swimming in. To throw this nirvana into a cold shower - for a lifetime Knicks fan who suffered throughout the embarrassment of the Isaiah... Read more »

All- Time Baseball Lineup

All- Time Baseball Lineup

Chayim Tauber, Sports Editor
November 7, 2012
Filed under Apple Of Knowledge

Previously, I posted a top-10 list for the greatest baseball players of all time. Obviously, many qualified candidates were kept off because the list was a mix of pitchers and hitters. A fairer representation of baseball's greatest would be to set an all-time lineup (with backups listed as well) and... Read more »

Field Hockey suffers two win season

Chayim Tauber, Sports Editor
November 1, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Mavericks field hockey team entered its third season without much in terms of expectations. Their first season was one in which they suffered the growing pains of an expansion team and resulted in a winless season. Last season, their second, saw them win their first ever match against Elms, 5-1.... Read more »

Mavericks Field Reinvigorates Athletic Program

Chayim Tauber, Sports Editor
October 29, 2012
Filed under Sports

Mercy College finally got a new car and it’s the fastest, shiniest one on the block. After years of playing on a subpar field that was markedly inferior of those of their ECC opponents, the Mercy Mavericks have a newly furnished, state of the art field that they can proudly call their own. Mavericks... Read more »

Death of a Yankee Era

Death of a Yankee Era

Chayim Tauber, Sports Editor
October 16, 2012
Filed under Apple Of Knowledge

1996 was the year I first started following  baseball and the New York Yankees religiously. I felt a kinship with another Yankee rookie that year, a 22 year old shortstop named Derek Jeter. Jeter wasn't the expressive warrior that Paul O'Neil was, didn't hit big home runs like Tino Martinez, and... Read more »

The Lone Ranger Retires

The Lone Ranger Retires

Chayim Tauber, Sports Editor
September 13, 2012
Filed under Apple Of Knowledge

If you’re a 90′s baby or a recent fan of tennis, the odds are you can only name one US male. For those who’ve come to the sport too late to have watched Agassi and Samprass, you’ve been subjected to the darkest period in US men’s tennis. The sheer domination of Roger Federrer, Rafale Nadal,... Read more »

‘Notre Dame’ Icon Tackles Challenges At Mercy

Chayim Tauber, Sports Editor
September 10, 2012
Filed under Sports

“Ru-Deee, Ru-Deee, Ru-Deee”. One of the most famous chants in the history of sports and cinema was heard in the Rotunda of Mercy College on Sept. 6 as the real-life Rudy was in the building. Daniel “Rudy” Rutteiger, the man immortalized in... Read more »

The End Gets Closer

The End Gets Closer

Chayim Tauber, Sports Editor
May 4, 2012
Filed under Apple Of Knowledge

Yesterday I found out that Santa wasn't real, that the tooth fairy was a fraud, and that the Easter Bunny was invented. I discovered that Superman actually does have... Read more »

Rangers Get a Little ‘Cap Room

Rangers Get a Little ‘Cap Room

Chayim Tauber, Sports Editor
April 30, 2012
Filed under Apple Of Knowledge

The Rangers survived a war with Ottawa. They survived the loss of Brian Boyle - to that point their most productive player. They survived despite their top... Read more »

NFL Draft Preview

NFL Draft Preview

Chayim Tauber, Sports Editor
April 26, 2012
Filed under Apple Of Knowledge

Jets and Giants previews at the Apple of Knowledge. Jets: http://appleofknowlege.blogspot.com/#!/2012/04/ny-jets-nfl-draft-preview.html Giants... Read more »

Boxing is Dead

Boxing is Dead

Chayim Tauber, Sports Editor
April 12, 2012
Filed under Apple Of Knowledge

... Read more »

A HOUSE DIVIDED: Losing Season Causes Frustration Off The Hardwood

Chayim Tauber, Sports Editor
March 29, 2012
Filed under Sports

Who quit on who? That seems to be the seminal question regarding the 2011-2012 Lady Mavericks season. The Mavs finished with a disappointing 3- 23 record and have once again missed the playoffs. Not only that but in their estimation (they being both the players and coach), they seriously underperformed... Read more »

ECC Conference Looks To Expand

Chayim Tauber, Sports Editor
March 29, 2012
Filed under Sports

The ECC experienced its own form of manifest destiny this past year as the University of the District of Columbia became the ninth school to become a member. The expansion is a precursor of things to come, according to ECC commissioner Dr. Robert Dranoff. There are talks of... Read more »

TEBOW?!

TEBOW?!

Chayim Tauber, Sports Editor
March 25, 2012
Filed under Apple Of Knowledge

The Jets had a well documented locker room issue that ultimately resulted in their demise last season. Ladanian Tomlinson spoke about it openly. It's a fact. They also have a quarterback with a lower self esteem than a teenage girl, which was a contributing factor in their less than dogged pursuit of... Read more »

The “New” Knicks Regime

Chayim Tauber, Sports Editor
March 16, 2012
Filed under Apple Of Knowledge

... Read more »

Bounty Hunters

Bounty Hunters

Chayim Tauber, Sports Editor
March 4, 2012
Filed under Apple Of Knowledge

The new biggest story in the NFL, now that the concussion issue has subsided somewhat (now that it's the offseason), is the NFL's investigation into... Read more »

Mercy Softball: Retooled, Reloaded, Refocused

Chayim Tauber, Sports Editor
February 23, 2012
Filed under Sports

Last season was a good one. Coach Mike Fazio led a senior laden team to a Mercy record 21 win season in 2011. The league has taken notice of the trending Mercy softball program and have ranked them fourth in the ECC’s preseason poll. But can they improve on last season’s success after losing... Read more »

Men’s Lacrosse Earns National Ranking

Men’s Lacrosse Earns National Ranking

Chayim Tauber, Sports Editor
February 23, 2012
Filed under Sports

Inside Lacrosse has them ranked seventh nationally. Lacrosse Magazine wrote a feature article on them called “Third year holds massive potential for Mercy.” They have four pre-season All-Americans, the returning Goaltender of the Year, and... Read more »

Giant Expectations: SB XLVI Perspectives

Chayim Tauber, Sports Editor
February 16, 2012
Filed under Apple Of Knowledge

“We should just have these two teams play every year,” remarked a bemused Chris Collinsworth as Super Bowl XLI, The Rematch, came down to the wire. Like its earlier installment (Super Bowl XLII), Eli Manning threw led his team on a fourth quarter come back with time expiring to take the... Read more »

Criminally Little Range

Criminally Little Range

Chayim Tauber, Sports Editor
February 14, 2012
Filed under Apple Of Knowledge

New York is known as one of if not the best sports-town in America. The Daily News, the New York Times, hell, even the New York Post is taken seriously as far as their sports is concerned. We... Read more »

ALL LIN

ALL LIN

Chayim Tauber, Sports Editor
February 8, 2012
Filed under Apple Of Knowledge

"Fire D'antoni". "Wait for Baron Davis". "Je-re-my! Je-re-my!" Jeremy Lin was waived twice this year before the season even started and the Knicks took a flier on the fan-favorite. The Harvard kid. The perennial underdog. Lin didn't get a single Divison I scholarship offer. By his... Read more »

Super Bowl Preview

Chayim Tauber, Sports Editor
February 2, 2012
Filed under Apple Of Knowledge

Giants vs. Patriots previews, Key Matchups, and Keys to the Game. A Must-Read before you watch the big game

Men’s Bball Wins, Youthful Team Maturing

Chayim Tauber, Sports Editor
January 31, 2012
Filed under Sports

It took them more than three months to accomplish the feat that the Mavericks men’s basketball team pulled off last Saturday. Victory. The Men’s basketball squad got their first win of the season against Nyack in what is easily the Mavs best start in years. The Mavs are a well balanced team... Read more »

Lady Mavs Still Feel Playoffs Are Possible

Chayim Tauber, Sports Editor
January 31, 2012
Filed under Sports

"Here we go again.” How else could a team react to an 0-6 start on the heels of consecutive 20+ loss seasons? Worse yet has been the manner in which they’ve lost. Whereas last season’s team were in nearly every game they lost, this team’s been blown out pretty much every time they’ve stepped... Read more »

Orange and Blueprint All Wrong

Orange and Blueprint All Wrong

Chayim Tauber, Sports Editor
January 29, 2012
Filed under Apple Of Knowledge, Columnists

... Read more »

Meet The Maverick Masher – Freshman Phenom Brenna White

Chayim Tauber, Sports Editor
November 21, 2011
Filed under Sports

This is the face of Mercy Athletics. She is also the most dominant neophyte in Division II volleyball and is starting to get the league-wide recognition to accompany her heady game. Despite being the most ferocious hitter in the East Coast Conference (she ended the season with the second most kills... Read more »