Shalekiah Barton

Shalekiah Barton, Staff Writer

Sha-shalom, which means peace, Le- a Levite a servant of god and Kiah- a legend or a folktale all together meaning Sha-le-kiah, "Determined to be here."
Born Sept. 24, 1993 in Brooklyn, Shalekiah Monique-Patrice Barton has always made her presence known since her birth.

Shalekiah is a 21-year-old inspirational R&B/Hip hop and Pop singer, songwriter, Dancer, actress, motivational speaker and journalist. She has been doing it all since the age of four when she started touring for various productions such as "The Maafa.. A Healing Journey."” Langston Hughes, Black Nativity,” "Hark Christmas in the Raw," and "Maafa. .The Struggle Continues." She’s toured with Dr. Johnny R. Youngblood and Oboe award winning director Jesse Wooden Jr., the Saint Paul Community Baptist Church Dramatic company to Seattle, Chicago, St. Croix and many other places. She also performed in various school adaptations such as "Lion King" and "The Wiz” and was cast the principle role of Mary in the Christmas production "Unto us a child is born" which is in its 11th anniversary season.

Shalekiah loves singing but didn’t realize her talent of singing until the age of 9. She is able to creatively write memorable and inspirational song lyrics that could 'Woo' a crowd. Shalekiah recorded her first single "Haters" at the age of 13 in spring 2007 and continued to build and develop her talent. Since then she has co-wrote songs with legends like “Kool and the Gang" and was privy to participate in recording sessions with producers from the So So Def music label.

In the summer of 2009, Shalekiah introduced her album "Shalekiah Monique The Dreams EP" and began promotion tours all over New York and New Jersey. Her ep is available on iTunes and her new single off of her sophomore album, "Un doable" can be viewed on soundcloud.com and her official web site, ShalekiahMonique.com.

Shalekiah is a junior at Mercy College and studies media studies and journalism. Being that she loved writing and talking, she decided to hone her craft and is working with her school’s newspaper "The Impact" to learn the ins and outs of journalism and publication.
Shalekiah lives by the phrase "dreams are real, just believe" and the phrase that she uses to motivate herself which was originally written by Marianne Williamson “Our Deepest Fear is not that we are inadequate, our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure” an intimate part of her journey.

All content by Shalekiah Barton
Quick Fix!

Quick Fix!

Shalekiah Barton, Staff Writer
October 29, 2015
Diary of a Nutella Addict:

Diary of a Nutella Addict:

Shalekiah Barton, Staff Writer
October 29, 2015
Colors and You

Colors and You

Shalekiah Barton, Staff Writer.
October 19, 2015
Vegan: To BE or NOT to Be

Vegan: To BE or NOT to Be

Shalekiah Barton, Staff Writer
October 15, 2015
OP/ED: Trump The Chump

OP/ED: Trump The Chump

Shalekiah Barton, Staff Writer
October 7, 2015
Celebrating My Cycle 22

Celebrating My Cycle 22

Shalekiah Barton, Staff Writer
September 24, 2015
Artificial Intelligence: Review

Artificial Intelligence: Review

Shalekiah Barton, Staff Writer
September 20, 2015
Pet PEEVES!

Pet PEEVES!

Shalekiah Barton, Staff Writer
May 2, 2015
Its A..

Its A..

Shalekiah Barton, Staff Writer
April 11, 2015
The Man Of My Dreams..

The Man Of My Dreams..

Shalekiah Barton, Staff Writer
March 19, 2015
Growing Up, Sucks!

Growing Up, Sucks!

Shalekiah Barton, Staff writer
March 12, 2015
The Grim Always Reaps.

The Grim Always Reaps.

Shalekiah Barton, Staff Writer
March 5, 2015
Baby Mama Drama!

Baby Mama Drama!

Shalekiah Barton, Staff Writer
February 27, 2015
The APP Addict

The APP Addict

Shalekiah Barton, Impact Staff
February 12, 2015
OP/ED: Pop Culture Is Sinking Us

OP/ED: Pop Culture Is Sinking Us

Shalekiah Barton, Impact Correspondent
December 14, 2014
Load More Stories

Activate Search
Shalekiah Barton