Baseball suffers four loses against St. Thomas Aquinas

The baseball squad currently stands at 6-27-1 overall and 3-13 in the East Coast Conference. A lot surge is needed for the Mavericks to end their season strong.

Mercy grieved with four straight loses against St. Thomas Aquinas.. Their most recent game against St. Thomas Aquinas College ended in a loss with the final score being 5-3. STAC improves to 22-10 overall and an 11-5 in the ECC.

During the fourth game against STAC on April 15, STAC scored two runs in the bottom of first on a triple to center, and a wild pitch. Mercy responded in the next inning as Nicholas Fiore hit an RBI double to get the Mavericks on the board. The Spartans and the Mavericks both traded quick 123 innings, until the bottom of the fifth after St. Thomas Aquinas scored, which gave a 3-1 lead to the Spartans.

In the sixth inning, after a leadoff double, Anthony McQuade singled to right, and the Mavericks cut the Spartans lead to 3-2.  In the top half of the eighth inning, McQuade scored to cut the lead to 4-3.

For Mercy, Joseph O’Neill only gave up three hits in six innings on the mound.

The other three games ended in loss with scores of 6-0, 2-0 and 15-4. During Game one, the Mavericks were only able to put together one hit off starting pitcher Robert Frank. Senior Tom Cummings got the start for Mercy and gave up five runs (four earned) over five innings.

During Game two, Mercy freshman pitcher Christian Hock was solid, working 6.2 innings and giving up only two runs. However, five Spartans pitchers held Mercy to four hits. Two of Mercy’s four hits came from McQuade. Though this game also ended in a loss, the Mavericks did not give up and gave them their all for game three.

During the last game, STAC scored in five of the first six innings of the game. The Mavericks plated a pair of runs in the second and ninth frame. Mercy starting pitcher Ray Thaisz threw allowed 10 runs, although only four of them were earned. These losses affected the Mavericks standings in this season.

Before the STAC games, the Mercy College baseball team was having a good week with defeating LIU Post two out of three games to earn East Coast Conference victories. The Pioneers won game one of the doubleheader, 7-0, but the Mavericks took Game 2, 1-0 and Mercy defeated LIU Post, 2-1, in Game three.

Coach Greiner and the Mavericks return to the field to host the doubleheader against the Purple Knights of Bridgeport University.