Men’s Basketball Looking at Positives as Conference Play Looms

As the non-conference slate wraps up, and ECC conference play starts to loom with the three early games under the belt already, Mercy Men’s Basketball looks to turn things around after an 0-10 start to the season.

Having played a really tough non-conference schedule so far, Mercy has came out slow to start the season, losing by 15 points or more in every single game so far this season. But with a the ECC season getting into full swing soon, the Mavericks have looked better lately and should have some momentum heading into the stretch, as they are in their best defensive stretch of the year only averaging 78 points allowed in their last two games against the College of Staten Island and University of District of Columbia.

Mercy has a long break ahead to try and regroup before the final 17 games, as their next game will be on Dec. 30, and they will have a chance to get some wins as the schedule lightens up a lot as three of the next five games are against teams below .500.

Their next game on Dec. 30 will be against 4-8 Sacred Heart, who will be a tough test because they are the first D1 team Mercy plays, but after that, they have Cheyney University, who are 3-11 on Jan. 3, Roberts Wesleyan (4-6) on Jan. 12, and Chesnut Hill (1-9) on Jan. 12. Mercy will have a great shot to pick up three wins in this stretch, including its first conference win vs Roberts Wesleyan, and pick up some major momentum to start off the new year.

Mercy has gotten their best contributions this year from Jayden Dewaal, a senior who was their best player last year when he was named to third team all ECC. Dewaal has averaged 16 points and 11 rebounds this year, improving on the 12 points and 10 rebounds he had last year, and has three 20-point performances, including a season high 32 against Felician on Nov. 13. Dewaal has been Coach Chris Watts best player so far and has a chance to easily be on an all ECC team again, as he continues his great play.

Other top contributors include seniors Alex May, Garrett Kirkland, and Braelon Joe, Junior Taj Chiles, and sophomores Sean Conroy and Asa Kone, who all are above 5 points per game. May has been the team’s second-best scorer, as he has 13 points per game, and also is the teams lead free throw shooter at 75 percent.

Kirkland has been the teams lead 3-point shooter with 25 made on the year and has averaged a steady 8 points a game. Chiles is their third leading scorer at 9 ppg., and lead assist man with 2.5 a game on the season.

Meanwhile Conroy and Kone have added some youth, as both sophomores have averaged 5 point a game, and Conroy leads the team in steals at 1.2 a game. And Joe has been a solid member off the bench, as he is fifth in points and second in assists and has added key minutes as a senior.

Despite the disappointing results so far, Mercy has a lot to be excited about with the numbers these players have been putting up, and it could contribute to a winning team in the future. Watts has a lot to look forward too, as Mercy, who still has 13 conference games left after starting 0-3 in the ECC, have plenty to play for as they try to make the ECC tournament for the first time in a few years.

The goal for the Mavericks is to get into the tournament which the top eight teams in the conference make. With the right formula, and the defensive ability this team has shown in the past two games, Mercy has a chance one they adjust to the rigors of ECC plays, and with the promising players they have, really have a chance to improve a lot in the second half of the season.