Asa Kone Dunks His Way Into ‘Player Of The Week’

Mercy University student and basketball power forward Asa Kone put the whole Mercy University community on notice by being named ECC’s Men’s Basketball Player of The Week.

With hard work and dedication being put into a team effort, Kone has been showing outstanding performances and highlighting his skills for Mercy to witness.

The 6’8 sophomore and Bronx native has been putting in challenging work for this team throughout the season—outstanding game performances, averaging 22 points per game, 11 rebounds, and three blocks per game.

Feb. 24 was the game Asa showed out when it most counted for the Mavs. He recorded a double-double with 20 points, 12 rebounds, and two blocks.

But an equally impressive moment was when he scored scored a career high against Daemen with 27 points on Feb. 18. Kone’s overall performance on the court and what he does for the team, giving his all for the table, is why Player of the Week was awarded to the star.

Before the power forward was striving for Mercy University, Kone played basketball at The Eagle Academy for Young Men. He was also playing basketball for Harlem’s Riverside Hawks and being a part of AAU’s Milbank Flyers. He was working hard to be the best and craft his skills, and he always loved basketball, yet he did not take it seriously beforehand.

That changed once he realized his basketball potential and changed his mind. Working hard every day made him become the player he is today.

“It’s a blessing. I want to thank god for everything and appreciate receiving the award.”

And he comments that the award doesn’t just celebrate his hard work, but his teammates as well. 

“My team has been very supportive of me this season, just keeping me focused and allowing me to make mistakes and learn and just continue to help me get better off and on the court.”

The entire season alone leads Kone to this particular moment. With difficulties in his way, the focus was working hard and working through everything, and I have been blessed with this award.”

A halt occurred in Kone’s performance in early December when injuries occurred—suffering from a right ankle injury, sidelining him for a month. A challenging moment did not discourage Kone in the slightest, with the help of teammates motivating him. The process of rehabbing and getting back to the rhythm. In his eyes, the process was strenuous.

The idea of wanting to play and help the team strive but not having the ability to do so due to injury did bother Kone at first, but they quickly realized that with easy recovery, things could turn back to normal. Kone, returning from injury with the help of physical therapy and having an overall support system from his teammates, made the player return to doing what he loved.

“I would say determination and commitment. Going through an injury in the middle of the season and missing some games, I stayed locked in and worked to get better and back on the court with my teammates.”

After being named player of the week, Kone’s goals are sweet and simple – prepare for next year.

“We plan to finish the season on a good note. As far as next season, we are going to keep our heads down and work hard to help bring Mercy a wonderful year next year.”

And the Mavs are battling this year. The team is 2-23 on the season and 1-14 in the conference. Their last win was Feb. 21 against Queens College in Dobbs Ferry, 91-87. Kone had 24 points and a career-high 11 rebounds that night, as the Mavs battled back from being down 13 in the first half. Yet it was a team effort by the Mavs, as sophomore Sean Conroy added a career-high 16 points and seniors Alex Mays and Garrett Kirkland chipped in 15 points each. Junior Taj Chiles dished out 10 assists while hitting late second half free throws and layups. 

“The season has been rough, but we have learned a lot. I think, although throughout all the losses, we have made good strides towards the end of the season, and we can use that to catapult into the next. The most important thing we have is a group of guys who want to work hard and be successful. If that happens, all other things will fall into place.”

However, Kone’s goal after being named player of the week is to stay focused at all times and learn more as a player. “Becoming a complete all-around player is something I am working hard to become.” 

Mercy University’s Kone has everything going for him. A young player with many opportunities awaiting him, and even with the hardships, injuries, and overall obstacles that attempt to slow his momentum, Kone successfully blocks it out of his path.

“Stay focused. Stay driven.”

Mercy ends its season on March 2 against St. Thomas Aquinas at 5 p.m. at home.