Barerra’s Defense Helps Mercy to ECC Seminfinals

Mavericks Compete vs STAC on March 9 To Go To Finals

Mercy University power forward Angelina Barrera’s reliable attribute for the team winning games is defense.  And this trait has won her back-to-back ECC Honor Roll Defensive Player Of The Week.

Barrera has been helping the team to acquire victories for the two years she has been on the Mercy women’s basketball team.

“Being named ECC Defensive Player Of The Week is a gratifying feeling. Especially since it is my second time winning the award. It recognizes all the little things my team and coaches push me to do consistently in practice.”

Mercy sits at 19-8 overall and 12-4 in the conference. They have a stellar 10-1 record at home as they prepare to face St. Thomas Aquinas on March 9 in the semifinal of ECC Women’s Basketball Championship tournament.  

Mercy is currently on a nine game winning streak, a far cry from earlier in the season when they lost four games in a row. But that doesn’t phase Barrera, nor does getting caught up in the current win streak.

Like the sophomore star says, “Enjoy through every high and low.”

Last year, Barrera played in all 26 games, with an average of 7 points per game. She had five rebounds and 0.5 assists per game to start her season. Angelina has had memorable moments in the season. She was leading the season with blocks, having 21 blocks this season. On Feb. 4, Barrera scored a career-high 17 points for a win against Wesleyan. Barrera earned herself a double-double on January 25th against Staten Island, scoring 14 points, being a team player with 11 assists, and earning herself the first ECC’s Defensive Player of the Week award.

During the 2023-2024 season, Barrera significantly improved with her craft, averaging 11.9 points per game. 10.3 rebounds and 1.1 blocks during the season, with an impressive win against Caldwell on Jan. 3 with a season-high of 23 points going 9-for-17 that game and earning herself two double-double performances. One against Daemon on Jan. 21, dropping 12 points and 11 rebounds to secure the victory for the team. The next she dropped 14 points and 16 rebounds.

Before her career at Mercy University, Barrera had been balling out for Gloucester Catholic High School. Being on the girl’s basketball team, Angelina’s performances for Gloucester have also been impressive from the years she has played. She is having her best games during her last year in Gloucester and scoring 25 points in a win against Pennsville and 23 Points in a win against Wildwood. Twenty-one points in a win against Schalick and two dominant victories against Clayton.

Barerra has always been a player that pushes for dominant performances for the team to succeed. The dominant performance is why she was named back-to-back defensive player of the week. She discusses it and explains what led her to earn these awards.

Barrera sees the earned awards as hard work and improving her craft. 

“Realizing my strengths and continuing to improve on them every day has allowed me to become consistent enough to win the award again.”

Barerra also said, “My team has guided me to this achievement by pushing me in practice daily. They trust in my abilities and uplift me in times of need. I consistently get in the gym for extra practice and grow my relationship with God to stay confident and calm throughout the ups and downs of a long season. It has allowed me to believe in myself and stay in the present.”

What pushes Barrera to forward as a player is the support system she has on the team. The players can be seen as a family, and she believes this helped her win the award as the season and team made her focus more on the little aspects that win games. Her teammates are a great help when every player puts effort into doing things that don’t show up on the stat sheet, as it allows the team to thrive. Yet, most importantly, she sees the team growing as the season progresses.

“Throughout this long season, we have grown as a unit. They play for one another and always have each other’s backs. We have maintained our reputation for having great defense and surpassed the points we scored as a team last year.”

She adds that Mercy has become a team everyone needs to prepare for.

“As many know, balancing the life of a student-athlete can be challenging at times. However, I love working hard and achieving things many haven’t done before, especially in our women’s basketball program. It overshadows the fact that I am under pressure to do well in both aspects.”

Next season will bring excitement to the women’s basketball season as four of the starters return to play. Barerra sees first-year students joining the team and players returning from injury as a way for the team to grow more and build chemistry. Barrera is very open about team chemistry and being a team player as it helps them as players.

Barerra has everything set in place for her. The future is bright for the sophomore star. Majoring in marketing and having goals of winning an ECC championship and an NCAA tournament ticket is something she wants to make happen for her team before finishing up in Mercy.

“My goals for my basketball future are mostly team-orientated, including putting my present year on a banner. Being a part of an all-conference team or defensive player of the year or player of the year in these upcoming years would be an amazing experience.”