Nevin Scaperotti Named “Pitcher Of The Week”

Mercy University’s baseball team has been on a roll recently. Having their fair share of phenomenal performances, but throughout the games, Nevin Scaparrotti has been showing out, Being named ECC’s pitcher of the week and named East Coast Conference honor roll for these ongoing performances to help the team.

Mercy’s baseball team has been holding their own throughout the season. They had an 8-11 record and a promising start to the season. They had impressive victories against Goldey-Beacom College and Adelphi University, back-to-back victories against Southern Connecticut State, and today’s victory against Bridgeport. In today’s game, Nevin had combined for eight batted runs.

They assisted Noah Giblin and the team to beat the college 10-5 in a 3-1 series. Most recently, Nevin pitched six innings against Bridgeport, scoring a 6-3 victory against them.

The first-year student has been making a name for himself throughout the baseball season. He had his best performance against Pace University on March 8. With pitching of 7.2 shutout innings and seven strikeouts, the stats earned him his first career win for the team. The team won 7-0 against Pace University, an impressive victory. He is gaining attraction for himself.

The 6’0 hurler’s a first-year student from Stormville, New York, and so far in his career on Mercy’s baseball team has made an impression on himself. During his last year at Carmel High School, he had 57 pitched innings with a 1.80 ERA. Currently, he has a 2.49 ERA for Mercy with a .757 slugging percentage. He was playing in 13 games throughout the season, starting in six. Been at-bat 74 times, ran the ball 18 times, and hit the ball 22 times.

Winning pitcher of the week has been a great accomplishment under the first-year belt. He feels proud of his ongoing determination for the games, his ability to help his teammates so far in his career, and his self-awareness in his performances and accomplishments.

The moments he is dealing with and handling right now raise motivation for the player, giving the player anticipation for what is in store for the rest of the season.

Nevin talks about his input on being named “pitcher of the week” and being on the honor roll, saying, “I am proud that I got to show people what I can do, and I am incredibly excited to see what I can do in the future.”

Nevin also speaks about his performances during the games.  “Going into the game, I knew that my team was going to put up runs, and all I must do is keep the score low. That is the mindset I take into every game I pitch. We have a talented team, and I look forward to the rest of the season.”

There was pressure on the first-year player at first. A young player on an established baseball team shows the players they are set. Playing in 13 games and starting in six shows the players’ promised career. Nevin Scaparrotti was a prime example of dealing with pressure, but after a while, he let his skills on the field do the talking.

“I felt a little bit of pressure because I am a freshman and had to earn my spot, but I think I’m settled for now, ” he added. 

The goals for the rest of the season are to help the team and play the sport Nevin enjoys for as long as he can.

“My plans for the rest of the season and seasons in the future is to keep producing and helping my team in any way I can. My goal with baseball is to play for as long as I can.” 

Mercy’s baseball team has been keeping themselves on a clean slate with their impressive games. The team, overall, knows what it takes to win and show out for the Mercy community. Nevin Scaperotti’s performance as a first-year student has been awe-inspiring.

Nothing but a bright future in the making.
Mercy’s Baseball team will bump into the Dominican University Of New York today at 3 pm and the College of Staten Island on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.