Provencio Earns First Win of Season

Mercy Softball Earns Split Against STAC With Complete Game From Provencio

Mercy University (11-23) softball defeated Saint Thomas Aquinas College (22-18) 5-4 on April 17 at Mercy Field in Dobbs Ferry on a rainy day with 97 attendees on hand.

With the win Mercy earned a split in a two-game set against their East Coast Conference foe.

Mercy dropped the first of the two games against STAC 7-6. After falling behind early 0-5, the Mavericks roared from behind to tie the game at 6-6. However, the comeback would be in vain as STAC silenced Mercy’s attempts at the come from behind victory. Freshman Nayah Diaz knocked in the winning run giving STAC the win in dramatic fashion.

Game two would be different. Mercy got on the scoreboard first in the bottom of the third. Freshman Allison Murphy hit a two-out single and followed it up by stealing second. Senior Shannon Sisco hit a triple down the left field line scoring Murphy giving Mercy the early 1-0 advantage.

STAC would answer right back in the top of the fourth. Freshman Olivia Leon knocked in a two-run single giving STAC a temporary 2-1 advantage.  At the time it seemed as if the momentum was tipping in STAC’s favor.

Mercy blew things open during the bottom of the fifth. Sisco started the bleeding with an RBI groundout to second. Sophomore Daedra Vanluvanee scored on the play tying the game at 2-2. Freshman Averi Miller knocked a two-run double to left center. Freshman Dylan Reyer and Murphy scored on the play giving Mercy a 4-2 advantage. Graduate Student Nicole Smart padded another run to Mercy’s advantage with a single to right extending the lead to 5-2.

STAC would give it one last valiant effort adding two runs in the sixth cutting Mercy’s lead to 5-4. Sophomore Marina Provencio retired the side in order in the top of the seventh, shutting down any thoughts of a comeback by STAC. Provencio earned her first victory of the season by pitching a complete game. This was a gutsy performance by Provencio. The Saugus, California native held tough as STAC attempted to claw their way back from defeat.

The insurance run Mercy added was critical. It provided the team with an extra one-run cushion that proved to be the difference in the contest. Mercy came up short in their comeback efforts in the first game. The Mavericks returned the favor in similar fashion with clutch play late.

Mercy was powered by Sisco’s bat, going 2-for-4, driving in two runs.  Murphy added to the power surge going 2-for-3 with two runs scored on the day.  Provencio pitched a solid outing, giving up four runs off seven hits.  Mercy played a clean ballgame defensively.  The Mavericks committed zero errors, while STAC committed a costly error which helped Mercy gain the victory.

With the win Mercy ends a streak of three consecutive losses. In three previous games against STAC this season Mercy suffered one-run losses. Despite having a tough season, Mercy has hung tough with one of the upper echelon teams in the ECC. STAC is expected to receive an at large bid to the NCAA Tournament this season.

This was only the second ECC loss of the season for STAC. In the loss, senior Tara Hagan became the 32nd player in STAC history to record 100 career hits. Sophomore Eliana Roposo suffered her eighth loss of the season compared to her 11 wins at the hands of Mercy.
The win ends a five-game losing streak for Mercy against STAC dating back to April 18, 2023. Mercy is now 2-8 in their last 10 meetings with STAC.

Mercy moves on to a two-game set against D’Youville University. The Mavericks will be looking to build off what was a positive set against a tough opponent.