Colin Kaepernick: Second Chance At Redemption

Unlike the New York Giants, the Jets were able to find a powerful piece that could lead their team to the future on April 23 of this year.

The Jets were finally able to acquire Green Bay Packers player Aaron Rodgers to play quarterback for their team. A process the team did not believe would happen. With the team being involved with a young and upcoming core of players, a player like Rodgers would be able to guide the team to stardom in the upcoming season. 

Yet the team’s hope of success would come to a halt as the NFL season had started, during Monday night football on the fourth NFL game for the season. On Sept. 12, Aaron Rodgers had a devastating Achilles injury. With the rest of the rookie roster taking over the win.

An overtime victory was impressive for the Jets but the news roaming around the sports world was Rodgers not playing for the rest of the season.

Limping away as Rodgers accepted his fate at the moment. An Achilles tendon tear is a severe injury when playing such an intense sport.  

With the loss of a quarterback to help the team. That means they need a player who has the experience of being a quarterback. Having the skills to bring New York hope. Right?

That is when one person comes to play. Colin Kaepernick. Kaepernick was a well-known and great NFL quarterback who has been around the world controversy during the NFL preseason game in 2016. During the national anthem, Kaepernick decided to take a knee.  

Take a stand feeling the league did not have the support of black Americans. Wanting to feel heard and let the world know what has been happening with black people being mistreated. When it comes to sports, when a player mentions views that are considered “political” they are shunned for it. Kyrie Irving, for example, was a victim of it.

People tend to say, “Just play the sport, sports should not be political.”

I do not believe that is the case due to the fact your views should feel heard when having freedom of speech. But Colin’s freedom of speech has gotten him blacklisted from the NFL. Even with many celebrities and well-known people who had his support the damage was already done. No team wanted to sign him. An NFL player who spoke against the organization shunned him from ever playing them.

Even through the controversy, Kaepernick still wanted to play for the NFL again. I am still hoping a team will eventually sign him.

Up until now when Rodger’s injury had occurred, Rodgers threw out a statement simply saying, “The team needs to grow up.” Not talking down on the team but referring to the young core needing leadership behind them. Even through all the backlash Kaepernick still hoped to join the NFL to finally play the sport of football again.  

Today, Kaepernick wrote a letter to the Jets organization offering his talents, hopefully playing for the team. Rapper J-Cole had received the letter from him.

Cole asked Kaepernick for his permission to release the letter before doing so. J-Cole released the letter on his Instagram, letting out a quote saying, “My argument was that I believe the people and all organizations should know the truth about how hard he works and how much he still wants to play.”

In the letter, Kaepernick addresses his desire to join the team to finally play again, showing the world how good of a player he is. He wanted the league to mostly focus on his in-game work instead of what made him the talk of the town back in 2016.  

Kaepernick simply is a guy who simply had his own beliefs and let the world know what was happening to our people and was shunned for it.

Yes, he is a great football player, but the world sees Kaepernick as an activist who wants what’s right for the Black community. Was he wrong in dropping his knee? Your call, but it is sad to say his own beliefs cost him his career. Even having his voice, he still enjoys the sport of football.

Does Colin deserve a second chance? Yes, he does. It is sad the NFL shut down his career for him speaking the truth. But for right now, we wait to see if he will get a second chance with the Jets, hopefully giving him a chance to prove himself.

But for now, all we can do is wait.