The TikTok Ban – Good Or Bad?

As we all know, the well-known app TikTok has been the week’s talk for the wrong reasons, not because of the content they are producing but because of one reason. We are getting the app banned. As we all heard, the house has passed a bill prohibiting the platform if it is not sold to them. The bill has passed, and the reasoning behind it is odd. The famous Chinese app that we can access gives us the random thought that the app takes our information, which is a security risk. The app is seen as a dangerous force in the U.S. because of its effort to get banned.  

I use TikTok. We all used TikTok, and if not, we all at least heard about the platform so far. Honestly, I find the app banning random.  

I understand that this is clearly the wrong time to talk about banning the app when more serious things are happening in the world. The U.S. TikTok is nothing but a regular social media outlet that does its job of getting the attention of others to use the app. The same goes for Twitter, Instagram, and other social media outlets. Of course, many things are happening in this world, the Gaza situation, the 2024 election around the corner, and many things I can name that are important to be dealt with, but of course, out of all the things, an app scares you.  

I am not trying to say that if an app gets banned, it will bother me or bother others, but I understand this. Social media, in general, can be a good thing or a terrible thing. It is, however, used regularly. You can use it to promote anything you enjoy, such as a clothing brand or content you make, for example. Social media outlets can be used as a sad thing by promoting false news and negative things in general, but at the end of the day, it is not considered dangerous. I never heard anyone say that TikTok was considered hazardous. TikTok is a golden ticket for growth when you want to promote yourself for what you enjoy.

If you are going to make YouTube videos or anything content-based, and you post it on TikTok, you will gain attraction. If you want to know about anything related news, TikTok is there. It is a faster process than other social media platforms that tend to be slower in terms of growth. Even if something terrible was on an app, Is it the platform’s fault? Of course, the platform will deal with anything on its app that promotes harmful content or negative things in general.  

I’m watching the video with the CEO of TikTok talking to the senator for the second time about the app, and you can tell the CEO’s time is being wasted here. You can tell the CEO made this app for people to enjoy. Anybody with the talent to make an app come to life will make it happen. I never understood why people in the video were so bothered by it. The more I watch the video, it gets funny because this country cannot be serious, huh? If an app is bringing you that worked up, then honestly, that is sad.  

Is banning TikTok a good thing or a terrible thing? It is a bad thing because it is the least of our problems. If TikTok were to get banned, give it time, and another app that shortens people’s attention spans would come back. I guarantee people will be there in no time. The same thing happened to Vine; a popular app shut down, and then we gave it time, and TikTok blew up. But seriously, we must focus on what is important.