Damian Lillard traded to Bucks: Does this make them the top contender in the East?

The months-long Damian Lillard trade saga is finally over as the the 7-time NBA all-star was finally traded from the Portland Trail Blazers to the Milwaukee Bucks after 11 years, who are looking to return to the NBA finals after disappointing postseasons the last two years.

Lillard, who is now 33, is coming off a career-high average of 32 points per game on a career-best shooting percentage, while also contributing seven assists and four rebounds per game. The longtime Trailblazer point guard will now join a team led by two-time NBA MVP and 2021 Finals MVP and champion, Giannis Antetokoumpo in Milwaukee, where he will provide sharp shooting from 3-point range, and become a closer with his clutch ability to make big shots with the game on the line.

But the question is, with what the Bucks gave up, is acquiring Lillard enough to make them a title favorite again?

In the official three-team trade with Milwaukee, Portland, and Pheonix involved, the Bucks just received Lillard, while the Trail Blazers got a two-time all-star and pivotal piece to the Bucks 2021 title, Jrue Holiday, and a 2029 first-round pick from the Bucks, former first overall pick Deandre Ayton, and rookie Toumani Camara from Pheonix. The Suns received four veterans in Jusuf Nurkic, Grayson Allen, Nasir Little, and Keon Johnson. Getting Lillard while giving up key pieces in Holiday and Allen definitely balances out for the Bucks, as both were starters on last year’s roster which was the first seed in the Eastern Conference, but it is clear what Milwaukee wants to do with this trade. In getting Lillard, they are looking to have another superstar next to Antetokoumpo, to lessen the load on the former MVP while also hoping it helps sign him to a long-term extension to stay with the team.

Now the real question is will the roster be that much improved for long-term success in the postseason with Lillard as opposed to Holiday and Allen? I think the answer is yes, because while Holiday was excellent in the Bucks’ 2021 post season run, averaging 17 points and eight assists while playing exceptional defense, he struggled the last two post-seasons in losses to Miami and Boston, most notably on defense which is supposed to be his calling card.

It was more evident than ever this year, as Holiday got torched by Miami Heat forward Jimmy Butler as his primary defender, allowing Butler to average 37 points in the five game series vs the Bucks and pulling off the major upset for the eight seed Miami Heat. In getting Lillard, the Bucks are pretty much saying they don’t care about the defensive aspect enough with two great defenders in Giannis and Brook Lopez on the team already, and would like to see how adding a pure scorer would be for them. Holiday and Lillard are also both 33 years old, so they aren’t sacrificing any future growth for these players.

This combination should make the Bucks one of the most balanced teams in the league, with the downhill aggressiveness and power inside the paint with Giannis, the shooting of Lillard, and the versatility of some of the others such as Khris Middleton, Brook Lopez, Malik Beasley, Bobby Portis and Jae Crowder. With this core, the Bucks are without a doubt the favorites to win the Eastern Conference and should be a top contender to win the NBA Finals. I think they are the best team in the East, with the Boston Celtics and last year’s conference winners the Miami Heat a close second and third but will need to gel together to make it through a tough regular season and postseason run. This of course is barring injuries which can change the course of everything. It is also Lillard’s best chance to win a ring in his career, as he has never even reached the NBA finals, with his closest appearance being a Western Conference Finals loss to the Warriors in the 2018-19 season. This will be extra motivation for Lillard to perform at the highest level of his career.

I think the Bucks’ biggest uphill battle will be the depth of their bench, because outside of Crowder, Portis, and Pat Connaughton, they do not have many proven players. Second-year players AJ Green and Marjon Beauchamp will have to prove their development and step into bigger roles, while free-agent guards such as John Wall, Kendrick Nunn, Terrance Ross, and others could be called upon to take roster spots in Milwaukee.

Overall, I believe the Bucks are the best team in the East and maybe the whole NBA, and I would rank the conference like this going into the season:

1. Milwaukee Bucks
  2. Boston Celtics
  3. Miami Heat
  4. New York Knicks
  5. Cleveland Cavaliers
  6. Philadelphia 76ers
  7. Atlanta Hawks
  8. Chicago Bulls
  9. Brooklyn Nets
  10. Toronto Raptors
  11. Orlando Magic
  12. Charlotte Hornets
  13. Indiana Pacers
  14. Washington Wizards
  15. Detroit Pistons

Out of all these teams, the top six are the only ones with a chance to win the conference and the top three with deep chances to win it all, but outside of the Celtics there is not a team with the superstar power to compete with Milwaukee. However, the Heat just beat them last year in the playoffs, and have a lot of experience, so they can’t be counted out. I expect the Eastern Conference Finals to be a heavyweight matchup between the Bucks and Celtics, with the Bucks winning because I do believe this Lillard trade with his hunger and drive will put them over the top.

Side Note: I do also like what the Pheonix Suns did in the three team trade, getting rid of the mess of the contract of Deandre Ayton and getting back four solid role players who can fit their roster. Portland did a good job in getting Ayton who can potentially be the big man they need in the future, and getting Holiday who will likely be traded to a contending team for future prospects and draft picks. Overall a solid trade for all.