Caitlin Clark Makes History in Style

The Legend of Caitlin Clark

Statistically, she is now the best to ever do it.

Iowa Senior guard Caitlin Clark passed former Stanford Forward Kelsey Plum to become the NCAA’s all-time leading scorer in Women’s Basketball on Feb. 15.

Clark broke the record in style with a Damian Lillard style logo three from what looked to be about 30 feet from the basket. She ended the game with a career-high 49 points while leading Iowa to a lopsided 106-89 victory over the Michigan Wolverines.

Before the opening tip Clark seemed like a woman on a mission. She knocked down shot after shot trying to develop a competitive edge before the contest began. The Des Moines, Iowa native is usually locked in, but on this night, it was evident Clark came to show out and show out she did. In 37 minutes, Clark capitalized on 16-for-31 shooting from the field including a sizzling 9-for-18 from three. The rest of Clark’s repertoire was on full display, adding 13 assists and five rebounds to the scoring barrage. Clark broke the record and Michigan’s spirit simultaneously with yet another dazzling performance.

Clark has been nothing but phenomenal this season. With averages of 32.4 points, 7.0 rebounds, 8.5 assist and 1.5 steals, Clark is widely considered to be the best player in Women’s College Basketball. One facet of the game where Clark can improve is taking care of the ball. The 4.6 turnovers per night is a stark reminder she’s actually human. However, when a player has control of the ball as much as Clark does, turnovers are expected. Clark constantly draws double teams in akward situations and is forced to think on the fly.

In sport’s success naturally brings comparisons to those of yesteryear. Iowa lost the National Championship game to the LSU Tiger’s a year ago. The one accomplishment left for Clark to grasp is the most difficult task the sport has to offer. Even if Clark finishes her college career without an NCAA Championship, she’ll most certainly go down as one of if not the best to ever grace the hardwood on the NCAA Division one level. During the 2023 Final Four, Iowa upset South Carolina on the game’s biggest stage with a trip to the National Championship at stake. South Carolina are heavy favorites to cut down the nets this season. At 26-0 and 13-0 in the SEC, a title for Clark will likely have to go through the Gamecocks. Dawn Staley’s group is trying to become the first undefeated National Champion since UConn in 2016.

Pete Maravich is the all-time NCAA scoring leader with 3,667 points scored from 1967-1970. As of today, Clark needs 51 points to break Maravich’s record and become the NCAA leader in scoring for either men or women.  Judging by the dominant performance V.S Michigan, there’s no telling how or exactly when Clark will surpass Maravich, but it will happen soon.

Lynette Woodard is the Association for Intercollegiate Athletics for Women record-holder in points. Woodard scored 3,649 points for Kansas from 1977-1981. The NCAA began sponsoring Women’s Basketball in 1982 and has omitted AIAW stats from their records. Either way Clark will pass both records respectively and put some distance between herself and second place. Iowa is anticipated to make deep runs in both the Big 10 Tournament and the NCAA Tournament which should give Clark plenty of time to place some cushion between herself, Maravich, Plum and Woodard.

Clark has an extra year of eligibility due to her as she began her career during the 2020-2021 Covid-affected season. If she does indeed return for a fifth season any records broken next season would likely have an asterisk placed next to them. Antoine Davis, a former player for Detroit Mercy finished his career just three points shy of tying Maravich’s record. Davis was able to climb the record books due to an extra year of eligibility due to Covid also. Had Davis tied or broken the record it would have certainly been a great accomplishment. However, keep in mind Maravich only played three collegiate seasons compared to Davis’s five, at a time where freshman were not allowed to participate in varsity athletics. This was also prior to the three-point shot being added to the game.

The Indiana Fever hold the first overall selection in the WNBA Draft set to be held on April 15. If Clark opts to leave school for the WNBA, she will likely be hoisting up an Indiana jersey as the organizations new franchise player. Going number one comes with a deal of pressure. Based on what we’ve seen over the last few years’ Clark is more than ready. A player of Clark’s stature only comes around once every so often.

The state of Indiana is a hotbed for basketball.  Larry Bird was hails from French Lick, Indiana.  The legendary hoops film “Hoosiers” took place in Indiana.  Clark being drafted by the Fever could result in a match made in basketball heaven.

Clark has spearheaded a new era for women in sports. Players can now cash in on NIL deals and use their brand to their advantage while in high school and college. Combine that with social media and you have a recipe in which amateur athletes can prosper financially without losing eligibility.

Whether it’s this spring or spring 2025 when Clark decides to leave Iowa, either way her superb play will leave a historical effect on NCAA Women’s Basketball.  And her legend will only continue to grow.