Warriors in Transition

Mercy University Celebrates its Veterans
Veterans voices page

Nearly five percent of undergraduate students countrywide are proud veterans. According to the Postsecondary National Policy Institute, 6.4 percent of Americans over 18 have served in the military. Nearly 57 percent of veteran students are 30 years or older.  

Mercy College is a Yellow Ribbon School whose undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral degree programs are fully covered by the Post-9/11 GI Bill. Veteran’s Lounges are available on both the Westchester and Bronx campuses.

“I want to express my deep gratitude for the veterans and active-duty service members who have selflessly served our nation. I also thank the families of service members, who have made enormous sacrifices for our country,” commented President Susan Parish in a statement.  “We at Mercy are honored to have many veterans and active-duty service members among our students, faculty, staff, alumni, and trustees. Their resilience, sacrifice, and commitment to service are at the core of the values Mercy University holds dear.”

To honor Mercy’s veterans, the Office of Campus Life hosted a Veterans Brunch on each of Mercy’s campuses on  Nov. 9.

Here are some of their stories.

Transitioning from the Navy to the Classroom

Dr. William Farber dedicated six years to his country, stationed on a “destroyer” ship during his naval service—a fast, maneuverable, long-endurance warship. Deployed to Vietnam at just 17, Farber now shapes young minds as part of Mercy University’s core faculty, championing fellow veterans among both faculty and students.

Recently, Mercy University celebrated its veterans, where Farber shared inspiring words: “Education is freedom.”

Reflecting on his naval days, Farber recounted the challenge of oceanic uncertainty.

“The ocean is never the same two days in a row,” he remarked.

Rooted in his family’s Artisanal Fruit Haven in The Bronx, young Farber’s active involvement nurtured his social and mathematical skills.

“I was always good with numbers,” he recalls.

These skills facilitated his transition from war, enabling him to pursue education at Manhattan College and later a Master’s degree at Columbia University. His naval experiences and family involvement shaped his character, propelling him to a teaching career in mathematics.

Now a pivotal part of Mercy University’s faculty for four years, Farber spearheads a unique program, offering tuition-free Science degrees in Mathematics Education for veterans with strong mathematical skills, funded by the National Science Foundation. For details on the Mathematics Education Intensive Residency Program (MEIRPRO), contact [email protected].

From an Army Combat Uniform to Scrubs

Mercy’s veteran community thrives, led by Ana Lucia DeFazio, born in Sullivan County, New York, on June 4, 1994.

Enlisting in 2014 for life experience and inspired by her father’s Marine service, Ana served in various locations without deployment—Korea, North Carolina, and New York, retiring in 2022. Juggling military service and pregnancy, Ana emphasized the importance of advocating for one’s rights and self-respect, crucial in the military:

“It often relies on the individual in authority and their regard for the rights at hand. I’ve found that advocating for myself is necessary to ensure my rights are acknowledged and respected.”

Post-service, Ana faced challenges readjusting to civilian life, grappling with the aftermath’s impact, including potential mental health issues like PTSD. Yet, alongside her husband, also a veteran, she found strength and unwavering support in their shared experiences.

Now studying to become a nurse, Ana, a former Chemical Specialist in the Army, praises Mercy University’s support for veterans.

She expresses deep gratitude to Mercy University for their exceptional care and support for both her and her fellow veterans: “Mercy, being a yellow ribbon school, facilitates student veterans, making the aftermath so much better; with the post-9/11 GI Bill, we get up to 36 months of educational benefits.”

Mercy University’s Head of Security

Konrad Motyka, a former Marine Corps lieutenant and FBI Agent, now safeguards Mercy University as its head of security.

From serving as a first lieutenant in the US Marine Corps to combatting organized crime and narcotics as an FBI agent, Motyka’s service shaped his character and professional pursuits. Recalling poignant memories of 9/11 and the gratitude extended towards law enforcement during those times, he acknowledges the impact it had on his life and work.

Having weathered the aftermath of 9/11, Konrad, married with two kids, met his wife, a former Navy nurse, during his service. His experiences and challenges post-service led him to Mercy University, now leading security, always advocating for and remembering the veterans.

Recalling the post-9/11 response: “I remember after 9/11 wherever agents, police officers, military or any law enforcement would visit a place everyone would show gratitude and serve us and give us so much gratitude.”

From a Guardian of the Deep to an Emerging Healer

Sara McNair, at 22, has shifted from the Marine Corps to pursue a nursing career.

Drawn to the Marines due to her family’s strong ties to law enforcement, including the Marines, Air Force, Coast Guard, and NASA, Sara faced various challenges along her path. Grateful for her uncle’s support in pursuing nursing, her Marine experience, heavily aquatics-focused, offered her a second family.

While navigating the academic challenges of nursing school, Sara’s time in the Marines shed light on politics and sharpened her opinions. Despite her admiration for Mercy’s veteran support, she aspires to enhance the lounge area for fellow veterans.

She says, “Being in the Marines shed a light on politics, and now I have a stronger opinion about them. “