Ear Infections In Canines

Did you notice your dog excessively itching his/her ears or shaking his/her head constantly? These are some common sides of an ear infection.

Ear infections are common in canines that have “droopy” ears, such as Golden Retrievers and Cocker Spaniels. The reason for this is that their ears are trapping in more moisture since there is not much air circulating in that area. Breeds that have ears that stick up, such as Pomeranians and German Shepherds, are less likely to get ear infections since they are out in the open all the time. However, they can still get ear infections.

There are many causes of an ear infection in a canine. Dogs that are always swimming are more likely to develop ear infections since water usually gets trapped in the ears and bacteria can develop. Also, food and environmental allergies can cause irritation to the ears. A veterinarian can perform diagnostics to see if the animal has an allergy to anything and then it can be avoided. In addition, some animals are just prone to ear infections. Many Cocker Spaniels develop ear infections to the point where it becomes a problem throughout its whole life. Their ears hold in a lot of moisture.

Some symptoms of an ear infection include:

-Itching of the ears

-Discharge coming from the ear

-Scabbing of the ear

-Redness of the ear

If any of these symptoms are noticed on the animal, then a veterinarian needs to be contacted. Sometimes a canine can develop a fever with an ear infection. The veterinarian will perform a physical exam and look inside the ear canal. Also, a sample from the debris in the ear can be taken to determine what kind of bacteria is growing in the ear. Usually this bacteria can be found by using a microscope. Then the veterinarian can use that information to see which medication is best to use in a specific situation. Medications that are usually used are antibiotics and ear drops/solution. Most importantly, in a situation like this a veterinarian will usually dispense ear cleaner as well. The veterinarian will usually recommend a re check visit to see if the issue is improving. That will help the healing process and clean out any excess debris. In worse situations with animals that get constant ear infections, the ears may need to be flushed with an instrument that is used at a veterinary office.

Just remember to bring the canine to a local veterinarian if any symptoms appear. Also, if you have any questions or concerns about your pet, contact a veterinarian.

Debris in a canines ear.