Ohio State Hobbles Out Of Bloomington With A 23-3 Win Over Indiana

The Buckeyes opened up their 2023 season on the road against a conference opponent on Saturday, which is a difficult assignment to give a first-year starting quarterback, more than some realize. Just ask the No. 2 overall pick in this year’s NFL Draft, who also played in those same conditions in his first start two years ago. Stroud had an underwhelming 8/14 completed passes for 58 yards and an interception in the first half of that game, and Ohio State fans were ready to exile him from the university. But we all saw how that panned out.

I’m not saying that I believe we have another one of those situations here. It just makes you think, doesn’t it? 

Nonetheless, it wasn’t the offensive light show that the nation is used to seeing from a Ryan Day offense, especially against a weak Indiana defensive unit with nine new starters from last season. It was evident that the Ohio State staff was cautious about breaking in their inexperienced signal caller, Kyle McCord, relying on the running game in a predictable fashion. Just not a recipe for success.

Through the ugliness, it’s not impossible to come across some positives from this game, even if we use a fine toothcomb. It goes without mention that the Ohio State defense showed up to Bloomington in Week 1, with a few members really proving themselves on the gridiron.

Sonny Styles showed off his freak-like athleticism in this game at the safety position, catching ball carriers on the sidelines multiple times for tackles. The highly touted sophomore was the No. 1 safety in his class two years ago and earned a starting role this offseason, which has had many Buckeye fans elated coming into the year. I’m expecting a monstrous season from No. 6 this fall.

Speaking of anticipated young Buckeyes, it was odd to see C.J. Hicks not on the field much Saturday. I understand it’s a tough linebacker rotation to crack with Tommy Eichenberg and Steele Chambers holding the reins, but with someone with the ability of Hicks it feels criminal to be leaving him on the sideline. I expect Jim Knowles to get the second-year stud more involved as the season progresses. 

Ohio State’s running back duo of TreVeyon Henderson and Miyan Williams is known to be amongst the nation’s best, but what if I told you they have another one who might be the best of them all? It sounds far fetched, but Chip Trayanum was that good this afternoon. The speedster out of Akron played as a solid security blanket for McCord throughout the game, averaging over seven yards per carry on just eight attempts.

It was a solid outing for Tony Alford’s running back room, but what was most to be desired was that spark in the passing offense.

Marvin Harrison Jr. and Emeka Egbuka are arguably (not really) the best two-pass catchers in America. For those two to only have a combined five catches is alarming, but we’re going to try and give the offense a freebie in their first game of the year. Third option Julian Fleming and tight end Cade Stover led the team in receiving yards in this one.

I think it’s important for Ryan Day to let McCord take more chances downfield with his arm next week. The supporting cast around him is as good as there is to offer in college football, it’s time we let this former 5-star sling the rock. Enough is enough.

The Buckeyes take on Youngstown State at the Horseshoe next Saturday in a game that will hopefully provide us with some more context. I’m expecting a better on-field product in Week 2.