Sweet Relief: Local Chocolate Shop Pioneers Mental Health Awareness

My mother came home with random food again from her friends at work and this week’s culprit was chocolate.

Eating chocolate has always been a specialty of mine, so I was excited to meet my newest prey. After analyzing the unique packaging and soaking in the fresh cocoa goodness, I knew this chocolate was different. 

When one walks into The Pod by CocoaCompassion in Dobbs Ferry, it almost feels like what it would feel like to walk into a local, quaint Willy Wonka’s chocolate factory. The aroma of the fresh chocolate mixed with the visuals of vibrant artwork, book covers, tumblers, and LED lights hung and dangled on the shelves. It tingled all the body’s senses. 

Just a trail walk away for Mercy University students who have discovered a sudden craving for chocolate. 

But what’s so special about chocolate anyway? 

Nothing right?

Many chocolates and the creation process are associated with many injustices, including child slave labor, poverty, land grabs, endangered species, deforestation, and greenhouse gas emissions. One could pay for more expensive chocolate in hopes of eliminating the chance of these injustices being melted into their sweet treat. However, that still might not help.

The chocolate sold at The Pod is made special by breaking these cycles of poverty and focusing on mental health in every piece they sell. 

Joy Thaler, owner, manufacturer, and proprietor said, “We are a community space first where all people add value and are valued.”

Not only are cocoa farmer producers around the world becoming a part of a $100 billion supply chain making finished chocolate delights, but also around 20% of profits made from their in-house processed chocolate is contributed to New York City metro area mental health and wellness organizations. 

These beans have more antioxidants than blueberries.

— Joy Thaler

Options range from their popular warm compassion cookies to their karma bars skillfully baked with their Tanzania beans. 

Thaler said, “These beans have more antioxidants than blueberries.” 

Thaler has transformed cacao beans, crystal-like Colombia panela (unprocessed sugar), and hand-foraged sea salt by their Chef Chris Amendola into more than just chocolate.

It’s a social impact. 

Chris Amendola, Chef and Owner of Foraged Eatery and Partner with CocoaCompassion said, “To me, being a chef is not about fame and wealth, it’s about being an inspiration, mentor and a voice. I want to open peoples’ eyes to their surroundings and also I want people to be conscious of what they are cooking for their families or what they eat when they go out.” 

He continued, “We should start by consuming seasonal ingredients and in doing this, this supports your local farmers which is important to your community. Helping take part in making our local community better is a priority. If we all try, our world will be better for future generation”

The Pod by CocoaCompassion continues to use cocoa for a cause through their leadership MyPodGrows programming, which carefully crafts together chocolate tastings, creative expression projects, and the upcycling of cacao husk, and ThePodGallery, which provides featured artists who support their mental health and wellness through art 70 percent of the sale price. 

Breaking the mold for the locals and the rest of the world. 

If interested in trying a taste, The Pod is located at 11 Cedar St, Dobbs Ferry.