Apple’s iPhone 5 Release: What Has Changed?

As of Sept. 21, the new iPhone 5 was released in nine countries. Due to the popularity of the phone, many people have already pre ordered theirs as of Sept. 14. Also, according to PC Magazine, people even started camping out in New York City, in front of the Apple story, three days before the iPhone was even released

This new device is only available to the services AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint. The iPhone 5 has three capacity models, are available in the colors black and white, and the pricing ranges from $199 to $399. The 16GB is $199, the 32GB is $299, and the 64GB is $399.

Now, what does the iPhone 5 have that past iPhones do not? Let’s take a look. First, the physical appearance of the phone has changed. This iPhone is 18 percent thinner than the 4s. It is 0.30 inches as compared to 0.37 inches. Another thing a lot of people should be happy about is that Apple replaced the glass backing of the iPhone with a new one made of mostly metal. They did this to prevent cracking, considering a lot of people have complained about dropping their phone once and it breaking.

As for audio for the phone, there is now an additional microphone, equaling to three microphones on the whole device. There is one at the bottom near the connector dock, one on the handset’s front face, and one on its rear side. Lastly, one more physical change was made to the iPhone that some people have been complaining about. The connector outlet is now smaller. Therefore, people who have had the previous iPhones will need to buy new chargers and connecting wires.

As for the internal appearance, on the home screen, a fifth row of icons will be added as opposed to the old set up, which were only four rows. Apple also promised wide screen movies or videos will look better. The Apple 4s “friend” Siri has said to have been updated and will be on the iPhone 5 as well. This new iPhone is said to have a better battery life according to Apple. The camera did not have any changes to it; therefore it is staying at eight megapixels. However the new A6 chip, opposed to the A5 chip that has been in past iPhones, gives the camera ability for better “low-lighting performances” and to capture pictures faster according to Apple.

Lastly, iOS6 was available for download Sept. 19. This iOS update is available to all iPhones including 3GS, iPod Touch 4G and 5G, and the iPad 2 and 3. The new update will improve Apple map apps, Face time, and Passbook. However, with the new iOS update, Apple has removed Google Maps.

Many people will be content with the changes to the iPhone and others will be disappointed. Senior and computer information systems major Steven Bettencourt – who is highly interested in technology – said that he will not be purchasing the new iPhone 5.

“I’m not a fan of the iPhone or Apple’s products, I have a Droid 3. The iPhones cost too much money and they change constantly; it’s like you have to pay more money each year to keep up with the products when only so little has changed from the product last year,” says Bettencourt.