Mercy College’s Psychology Club!

Shalekiah Barton, Staff Writer

The Dobbs Ferry campus of Mercy College is known for a lot of positive things, namely its attention to the variety of clubs on campus.

Each club gives students knowledge of new concepts and information pertaining to a particular subject or interest and allows students to explore more information about what they major in or want to minor in.

The Psychology Club is one group in particular that prides itself on interacting and  teaching people all around the campus and beyond.

It was founded by Richie Pozo, a sophomore who is very involved on campus. If he is not working around the Admissions Office, he is helping the faculty with the orientation leaders program and now he is a full time president of the psychology club.

“There are over 800 psychology majors, so i thought it was the time and need for the club to exist,” says Pozo.

He created the club in the fall of October in 2014. According to Pozo, Mercy’s staff made it easy for him to express his need for the club and now he is able to bring the psych students and other majors, a lot of interesting facts about the ins and outs of psychology.

“Psychology is everything and in everything we do. It is interacting with individuals, while learning the behavior and reactions of them,” Pozo exclaimed.

This club is a great example for other clubs, because it focuses on students having fun and learning leadership skills, but also learning more about others as well. Meeting people is what the college experience is all about and is very important in learning how to truly communicate through school and beyond.

There are 20 members so far involved in the club and is growing each week. The club is helping the current members with their actual psych classes and teaching them the sense of community, made clear by first year member, Kristineiry Hernandez.

“The club doesn’t feel like a class, but more like i am in a room full of friends, learning new things.”

As a member, students are each asked to commit time for the meetings and participate for the scheduled events Pozo sets up.

“We connect with people through events. Psychology is about bringing people together and allowing them to be one. As a result through volunteering and giving back to the community, we are able to share what we love by helping others and learning about what makes us all different as humans,” says Pozo.

The club has done quite a few events to impact different people on the mercy campus and community. They served the Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual and transgender community on Thanksgiving of 2014 and continues to orchestrate fundraisers to fund events and trips. The next events occurring are the highly anticipated excursion to a mental health institution and a fun treasure hunt to connect more people on campus. Every Wednesday from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. in room 201, in the Main Hall building, the Psych Club welcomes all majors to come, learn and teach.

“In the last meeting, I learned about the Meyers Briggs test, which are a set of questions asked to see what kind of personality one has. You’re asked about your different characteristics and traits to determine who you really are mentally,” Hernandez said.

We all have brains and each of them work in their own special and different ways. Studying the reasons why is what the Psych club is all about. Most people get psychology and psychiatry mixed up. Psychiatry is the practice of diagnosing and treating mental disorders, while Psychologists study emotions, perception, intelligence, consciousness, and the relationship between each, their processes and the work of the glands and muscles.

Life is all about interactions and no matter what field you study or are involved in, psychology will be present,” Pozo joyfully says.

The club is also a safe haven for anyone who wants to come and share their thoughts about anything. During some club days, Vice President Natalia Plawiak allows the members to vent or express how they are feeling, because after all, psychology is all about the mental functions and behaviors of men and women.

The members are able to understand the way each other thinks and gathers information, which is great for anyone working with people. Whether one is studying to be a doctor, lawyer, singer, artist, or law enforcement, there is a place for everyone in this club.