The View’s Sunny Hosting Attends Mercy College Women’s Conference

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mercy College hosted its annual Women Empowerment Conference in order to celebrate Woman’s month with the community on March 15. A number of organizations such as the National Organization of Women of Westchester, League of Women Voter and the YWCA gathered along with a panel of speakers aimed to motivate and empower women of all ages.

The room stood in admiration and applause as the Views co-host Sunny Hostin walked in as the keynote speaker. She thanked everyone at the mike stand and said with a smile, “I just couldn’t say no to coming here to speak because I know this school is known for it’s first generation and diverse students and I identify with that.. I should have been a statistic , I am here to remind you that you are all exceptional.”

Hostin has been very successful in both the journalism and legal field . She was  a senior legal correspondent and analyst for CNN coving many high profile trials, from George Zimmerman to the unrest in Ferguson to the trial of Casey Anthony. Hostin also was a trial attorney for the Justice Department and became a federal prosecutor prosecuting child sex crimes in which she never lost a case.

She explained her humble beginnings growing up a hispanic girl  in the Bronx and being raised by a teen mother. At the age 7, she experienced a traumatic experience after finding her uncle after he had been stabbed.

“I had to spend time pushing his intestines in his body and called 911,” she said. That was the day Hostin determined what she wanted to become of her future.

“Mark Twain once said there are two important days in your life – the day you were born and the day you figure out why, but I think there are three important days and the second  is when you find out what and who you will not be and chose the path you want to take and that was that day for me…those statistics didn’t claim my future  and violence and poverty wouldn’t bed my life,” she said.

The day Hostin found her purpose was when she was the first to interview Trayvon Martin’s mother and family.

“I was able to be the voice for someone who felt like I could understand their story because of my background and it felt great to be able to use my voice for good,” she said.

Hostin explained the importance of amplifying your voice as a woman. “I find that a lot of women tend to suffer from imposter syndrome where we think we don’t deserve our success, well I am here to be an example and say that you are exceptional.. women are losing their voices and the world needs more voices and stories like mine we must empower one another,” she said.

Since Hostin is able to hire people she finds that when she interviews women and they have above the requirements of the job they are focussed on making up for the half requirement they don’t have. However when it is a man and they have less then half of the requirements they are focused on the two that they have and try to fit the square in the box.

“You women are more than prepared and need to own that you are valuable and more than capable of obtaining success,” she said.

Co-hosting the View, Hostin felt a bond when she interviewed Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, who grew up in the Bronx.

“We both had the same look and she sincerely couldn’t believe she was on the View and that is why we have to dream big because maybe one day it would come true.”

Hostin also emphasized how women should speak more kindly to themselves. “I never lost a case being a Federal Prosecutor for child sexual assault but I would still go through my notes and pick apart all the little mistakes I might have made. It’s counter productive,” she said.

She spoke about the time when she was featured in Essence magazine and was obsessing over her dirty shoe soles that weren’t edited even though she had be complimented by friends and family and colleagues.

“Give yourself room to be imperfect and give yourself more credit, “she said.

Before speaking one on one with the women and answering questions. Hostin gave a her last piece of advice, “use your own voice the hand you hold the longest is your own.”

“Always remember just because the game of life is rigged against you, doesn’t mean that they are smarter or less capable than you are,” she said as a wave of women of all ages clapped in unison.

About the Writer
Valerie Lopez, Associate Editor

Valerie Lopez is a small town Hispanic girl from upstate New York who has big dreams and endless potential. She is a journalism major going into her sophomore...