Earth’s Hottest Year Ever Recorded in 2023

2023 is currently on track to be the Earth’s hottest year, and it looks like the trend will only continue going forward if something isn’t done, say experts. 

Research done by European Union’s Copernicus Climate Change Service found the Earth’s global temperature 1.5 Celsius warmer than preindustrial levels, and at a temperature human life and ecosystems will struggle to adapt.

Since June, every month has been the hottest month in history on record, and November was a record worst of them all for the time period. The month was 1.75 degrees warmer than any other ever recorded, and two days went above 2 degrees of the hottest ever, leaving some experts and scientists concerned for the future of the Earth.

One of the most concerning issues about the heat wave has been not just the summer temperatures but the extremely hot fall and winter months, something scientists think is a huge concern. In the Northern Hemisphere of the world, the fall season has been the warmest recorded around the world in the history, according to the Copernicus.

There are many reasons for this temperature increase, but one key expert have thought about was an increase in fossil fuels into the environment, as some high usage countries are greatly causing this defect on the Earth.

“Wealthy and high-emitting countries, which have contributed the most to this record-breaking year,” said Brenda Ekwurzel, the director of climate science at the Union of Concerned Scientists to CNN. She continued in saying “We have a greater responsibility to make a fair, fast and funded phase out of fossil fuels to help limit the increasing extreme weather and climate change impacts.”

Through 2022, the Earth had warmed at 1.2 degrees, and the last couple of years have seen a sudden jump, leaving many for concern according to CNN. The planet could be in for a crisis, if something is not done about the excess fossil fuels and climate change real soon, the UCS stated. 

Many people had begun to realize their concerns about the climate this month, as many noted the Christmas season without snow. Brian, a local Westchester resident who was doing some Christmas shopping, said “I needed a new shovel but I don’t think I would even get one with no snow this year. It’s sad this happened because it scares me about the Earth and my kids love t0 play in snow and we haven’t even got to do anything.”

Another Westchester resident, Anita, said “this is the first time in my 89 years I have seen no snow in my life in New York. I don’t know what is going on. I love the nice weather but it feels like Florida instead of New York.”

Local businesses have begun to take notice how it effects their store, as Jon, an employee of a local HomeGoods, says “we don’t even do anything for snow supplies when we usually have shovels and a few other items.” He continued in saying “its just not marketable, like why do we need to put out snow supplies if it never will snow. It effects a few other things in this store as well but it’s bad for the company.”

With a lot of people concerned, and temperatures soaring, there is a lot of question about the Earth in the next few years. Saving the environment, and the fight against fossil fuels is a big-time fight, and it will be remained to be seen how world leaders will deal with this crisis. But this situation is clearly something to monitor, as snow on Christmas just feels regular and is something many people would love to get back too in this part of the world.