Fast Food Epidemic In College

Students Pay A Lot For Fast Service and High Calorie Counts

Amidst finals, stress grip is tight, and healthy diets seem impossible. It’s a vicious cycle. Some struggle to eat during stressful times, while others find it hard to stop. Both overeating and undereating can be harmful, and fast food can be the biggest perpetrator of them all, slashing through humans’ health like a thick sword.

Fast food isn’t just a part of stressful situations for some- it’s a daily reality. In a recent poll conducted among Mercy University students, a staggering 94 percent of respondents admitted to consuming fast food at least 1-2 times per week, highlighting a concerning trend.

Yes, this number is not significant, but in terms of calorie count, it is. A typical fast-food meal can range from around 500 to 2,000 calories.

For international students Yessy Alvarado and Valeria Lemus, fast food is part of their weekly lives.

“There is nothing good to eat here at the main hall, so I expect the days I’m going to buy food,” Alvarado shares. Current dissatisfaction amongst students towards the dining hall has caused Alvarado to seek good-tasting food in fast food.

Yessy Alvarado

And Alvarado is not alone.

At just 19 years old and slender as can be, Alvarado’s fast food habit might come as a surprise. Before college she adhered strictly to a balanced diet and maintained a rigorous exercise routine. However, the toll of nutrient-poor fast food has drained her, leaving her lacking the energy she once had to stay active.

“I’m limited in my options, and dining out at a restaurant every time isn’t an option for me,” Alvarado explains. “But the aftermath isn’t pleasant; fast food often leaves me with belly pains.”

Despite the discomfort, she still indulges in fast food twice a week, craving its satisfying taste, contrary to her opinion of the dining area.

Lemus, just like Alvarado, eats fast food weekly.

“Cafeteria food just doesn’t agree with me,” Lemus explains, elaborating on her weekly fast food choice. As a freshman at Mercy, she’s found solace in the satisfaction of Chick-fil-A. Coming from a place where Chick-fil-A wasn’t available, its presence now serves as a beacon of delicious relief for Lemus, providing her with a meal that truly hits the spot.

Fast food companies’ primary objective is satisfying the human craving for fast food, according to study by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The study states, “Fastfood purchasers spend less time sleeping, doing housework, eating and drinking, and
watching television than nonpurchasers,” and surrpisingly that purchasers come from higher education and income levels than those who do not purchase it. 

The study also stated that fast food purchasers sleep about 30 minutes less a day than those who do not, and the main reason to buying is time and convenience. 

Financially, The Education Data Initiative says students spend nearly $410 a month eating off campus, which is nearly equal to the average meal plan. 

Many experts believe they invest millions in unraveling the “bliss point,” the precise combination of sweet, sugary, and overall flavors that triggers increased dopamine production in the brain. These flavors are highly appealing to humans.

For student Nicholas Roth, the line between fast food and snacks often blurs. But are snacks considered fast food? This distinction may vary depending on individual criteria. For Roth, snacks represent a guilty pleasure, sometimes indulged in more frequently than advisable.

“I love chocolate. If I’m stressed about an assignment, I’d reach for a candy bar,” he confesses.

While Roth consumes fast food just once a week, his snack intake far surpasses that frequency, leading to elevated sugar levels that concern him deeply. His doctor has issued a warning: neglecting his diet could pave the way to diabetes.

Excessive consumption is detrimental, whether of fast food or unhealthy snacks. Some argue that indulging in them at all is problematic.

“If you want fast food on one day of the week, go for it. However, eating fast food a few days a week will shoot up your weight, and the fat will stress out your liver,” warns a seasoned research dietitian within the Mercy community.

Dietitian and Mercy University faculty member Marty Davey explains the repercussions of frequenting the fried food aisle more than three times a week.

“Most fast food is loaded with saturated fat, the culprit that clogs arteries and paves the way for high blood pressure and heart disease,” she says.

For someone like Roth, who is experiencing repercussions of eating foods with heavy sugars, adopting a healthier diet is imperative to avoid such consequences. Davey advises: “If fast food is unavoidable, opt for salads or bowls where you can make healthier choices.”

However, healthier picks come with costs that may clog your wallet. 

A report from the UK titled The Broken Plate stated that eating healthier can cost you up to fifty percent more per meal. Healthy eating often comes with a higher price tag, thanks to the elevated costs of fresh produce and the scarce availability and promotion of processed foods. Additionally, policies favoring the production of unhealthy foods can further skew the pricing gap.

Crafting nutritious meals demands money, time, and culinary skills, presenting obstacles for countless individuals.

Regrettably, access to the healthy eating market seems reserved for elite consumers; for the average shopper, nutritious choices can feel like a luxury. Retailers like Whole Foods, notorious for their steep prices, effectively exclude those with part-time jobs or college students from accessing their offerings.

“The problem is I have no money for a trainer or time for fitness, which is bad,” Roth shares.

“I would buy salad bowls, but they are way over my budget. They don’t fill me, as some good home-cooked meal would,” Alvarado adds.

College students often find it challenging to schedule meals, needing to prioritize healthy eating to navigate through their college years. While this might appear commonplace, it’s far from ideal—especially for mental health.

Consuming a low-nutrient diet, such as fast food, can lead to mental health problems. A diet lacking in essential nutrients can adversely affect brain function and mood regulation. Additionally, indulging in excessive processed and fried foods can contribute to chronic inflammation in the body.

Chronic inflammation has been associated with an increased risk of depression and other mental health disorders.

“Every time I eat fast food or at a cafeteria, I feel so full, but it’s not a healthy fullness because I quickly feel hungry again. I’m not nourishing myself,” Lemus adds, expressing her ongoing struggle with health issues related to food, which significantly impacts her daily life.

Valeria Lemus

Seeking alternatives to fast food is crucial for improving mental health. Realistically, college students may not make drastic changes, but even small adjustments can make a difference.

Davey shares her tips: “With my full schedule, I rely on plant-based burgers and frozen veggies in my freezer; that’s my secret. I also stock up on boxes of whole-grain pasta, canned beans, and low-sodium soup in my cupboard. They’re affordable and have a long shelf life, lasting for months if not years.”

Frozen or canned veggies have proven to be much healthier alternatives to fast food.

The Education Data Initiative added that Vegan options 

However, the issue of taste still needs to be addressed. Even though canned veggies may serve as an alternative, they provide a different level of satisfaction for the palate than well-prepared cooked food.

Ultimately, the journey towards healthier eating habits is a personal one, requiring determination and perseverance.