Lacrosse Wins Three In A Row To Ease Recent Losing Streak

The expectations were immense in 2012 after a 9-6 campaign last season, according to Coach Francesca Delorenzo. Yet the Lady Mavericks’ lacrosse season hasn’t gone according to plan, as the team has battled a losing streak and a series of close losses.

This is the third year for a program that showed great progress in posting a winning record with a young team last year, but with eight games played thus far, the 4-7 record is a setback considering the returning talent on the team; not to mention the experience they obtained last season. Half way through the season, the team has played three in-conference games, all of which have resulted in close losses.

The team has won its last three in a row to erase a disappointing 1-7 record.

Junior captain Julie Darnulc sees improvement in the team in the way they competed in these conference games; especially against (6-4) Dowling, a game they lost by one point. She points to that game as a barometer of what the team is capable of and eventually will become if the team puts in the work the rest of the season.

Many of the players see that improvements are needed, and they point to one major reason why the team has struggled- chemistry amongst the players. The two captains Darnulc and Kelsey Sullivan have played very well and have received numerous honors throughout their careers, but this season the chemistry hasn’t clicked between the returning players and the other young players added to the team. Many of the players on the team attribute the disappointing start to the lack of growth as a team that they expect to turn around in the second half of the season.

The talent and potential is there, according to the captains, and it is this mindset that made Darnulc confident in the ability to turn things around for these last few remaining games and show a glimpse of what the team and its players showed all throughout last season.

Prior to the season opener, Delorenzo spoke about the youth on the team and she also spoke about new faces who she was hoping would make big impacts this season. One name she brought up was freshman Kelsey Healy, who has played this season. Another player who has had a tremendous impact on the field is freshman Michelle Tierban from Farmingdale, as she is in the top three on the team in points and goals scored.

Darnulc is the overwhelming leader in points with 32 points and 18 goals. Sullivan has 13 points with seven goals, Teirnan has 12 points with 11 goals and Kristen Znaniecki has 12 points with eight goals this season. Other high scorers on the team have been Jamie McPartland, 10 goals, and Kelsey Bub, 8 goals.

There are seven more games remaining and in that, five are against conference rivals including C.W. Post, who is on top of the division and undefeated in the ECC conference, and sports a 9-1 overall record. At this point Mercy would have to win all five remaining conference games just to equal their conference record for 2011 season.

After  starting the season at 0-5, Mercy won its first game on March 31 against Chestnut Hill, 16-7. Darnulc and Sullivan scored three goals apiece. Darnulc had a team-high 5 ground balls as Sullivan had 3.

The Lady Mavs have had their share of close losses this season; a 15-14 loss to Holy Family on opening day, a 9-8 loss to Florida Southern, a 10-9 loss to Dowling, a 10-9 loss to Molloy and a 14-12 loss to Queens.