The Roundup: We Have Reached Midseason Action

Eirik Elvestad is a men’s soccer record holder, Julia Pomerleau broke her career high of kills in a game, and the Maleah Tarin breakout party is here. Welcome to the first edition of The Roundup.

It was just that kind of week for Mercy’s fall sports, which had two teams come away with victories to open the month of October. The competitiveness in the middle of the season is unmatched due to the pressure that conference play presents. Key matchups on the schedule are inching closer, ones that will set the landscape for postseason seeding. Things are starting to heat up here in Westchester.

Men’s Soccer battles Millersville/St. Thomas Aquinas

The Mavs beat Millersville earlier in the week, 4-0, led by a two-goal performance from Johannes Hanken Tjostheim. Juan Jose Alvarez Acosta and Jorgen Krohn-Petterson each scored for the first time this season as Eirik Elvestad earned his 16th career shutout, a new program all-time record. Elvestad has been the head of the Mercy defense since his arrival two years ago and has been stellar again in his junior season. He is an essential part to the Mavericks’ hopes for back to back championships.

It’s time we also had a discussion about just how good Johannes Hanken Tjostheim has been. The sophomore has been white hot, scoring three goals in the Mavs’ pair of contests this week and six in his last three games alone. Hanken Tjostheim leads the ECC in goals with nine already and has been lightning in a bottle to open the year. 

Mercy ended the week on the road at St. Thomas Aquinas for a conference showdown and came away with a 1-1 tie. Hanken Tjostheim was the only scorer in the match. Mercy plays Wilmington this Wednesday before their anticipated ECC title game rematch with Molloy on Saturday. You know the intensity is going to be through the roof for that one.

Volleyball Responds In A Big Way

Women’s volleyball is near completion of a six game stretch against conference opponents. This week’s obstacles included Daeman and D’Youville, which Mercy went 1-1 against this past weekend. The Mavericks welcomed the defending ECC Champion, Daemen Wildcats to town on Saturday but dropped a tough battle, 0-3. The Wildcats are the premier volleyball brand in the ECC, having appeared in the East Regionals a year ago. They aren’t going away anytime soon, but unfortunately for them, Mercy isn’t either.

The Mavs rebounded like any strong team does, taking down D’Youville, 3-1. Julia Pomerleau was the story in this one, racking up a career high 17 kills on the day. Pomerleau owned the front court all afternoon, but she wasn’t the only one who brought her good stuff. Larissa Schneid (15 kills, 12 digs) and Yarianne Gonzalez (49 assists, 11 digs) each recorded double doubles, stacking on to their stellar 2023 campaigns. The all conference duo have been focal points for the team, and will be leaned on heavily heading into this back half.

Mercy will now have five days rest before they wrap up their conference stretch against St. Thomas Aquinas this Saturday.

Tarin, Women’s Soccer Ready For The Back 9

Could there have been a better time for Maleah Tarin to introduce herself to the ECC? The sophomore has been on a tear over the past two weeks, scoring a goal in three of her last four games. Jack Nicholson has relied on Tarin heavily so far this season, showcasing that in her 787 minutes played this year, the most amongst Mercy field players. This team may have a star brewing here.

The team squared off with St. Thomas Aquinas this past Saturday and tied with the Spartans, 1-1. Tarin was the only goal scorer in the contest. Mercy is in third place currently in the conference with three ECC games left to improve their seeding. That includes the regular season finale against second place Daeman, so there’s plenty of meat left on the bone for the Mavs to move up.

Kamy Anaya has held down the fort on the defensive side all year. The second year goalie has only allowed multiple goals in one game this season, batting away 28 total shots. Anaya gives the Mavs a chance to win every time they take the field.

Mercy will take on Southern Connecticut State tomorrow, and then welcomes Molloy to town on Saturday for their first meeting since last year’s ECC Championship. 

Field Hockey Is Improving Everyday

The adjustment to the premier Northeast 10 has been rather difficult since Mercy joined in 2019, but it hasn’t stopped them from getting better. The Mavs broke their program record for wins last season and have the mentality to have a strong finish for a consecutive year.

The Mavericks took on conference powerhouses Pace and Bentley this past week, dropping Wednesday’s match with the Setters, 1-6, and Saturday’s match with the Falcons, 0-2. Kasey Volz found the back of the net against Pace for her third goal of the season.

Rachel Palladino is having a career year, leading Mercy offensively with seven goals and 14 points on the season. It’s been a team heavily powered by seniors, with Palladino and Kelly Rosenfeld providing much of the Mercy scoring. Rosenfeld, the do-it-all player for Marissa Spinazzola, is the heartbeat of this squad and is a threat in every game she plays in. 

Keep an eye out for these two when the Mavs take on New Haven tomorrow and American International this Saturday.