Sweet Victory, Five Times In a Row

Men’s Lacrosse Wins The ECC Championship Again

The Mercy’s men’s lacrosse team has done it.

They have won the big one, capturing the most significant victory during the ECC Championship tournament. They played against Frostburg State in the ECC Championship finals on Saturday  to capture an 18-5 dominant victory against Frostburg State.

This ECC Championship victory has added an impressive accolade to their belt. Mercy has now won their fifth consecutive ECC championship title and 37 consecutive games against ECC opponents.

The final game was a work of art. The team had phenomenal talent and chemistry on and off the field. Lacrosse senior Greg Gibbons had one of his best games yet during Saturday’s victory, scoring 11 points via eight assists to help the team finish the job.

He was earning himself the most outstanding player for the 2024 season. Lacrosse first-year student Cameron Dorfman, who has been tearing it up in just his first year playing for Mercy, had a game-high in 16 saves, also helping the team get the victory. Graduate student TJ Heyder showed grit and determination, scoring four goals and five ground balls. Both players Heyder and Gibbons made history during the team’s victory. Gibbons got his 100th point, and Heyder got his 200th point as well.

The Men’s lacrosse team has flourished throughout the seasons since it started. They had a team that had built up lofty expectations for themselves and pushed the narrative that they had what it takes to make it far as a team. They were the number one seed in their division with a phenomenal record of 14 wins and one singular loss. Winning ten straight games in a row, the team already knows what it takes to stay at the top of the game.

With being No. 3 in the NCAA North Regional Rankings and being named East Coast Conference Champions, the presence of the Mercy Men’s lacrosse team has been shown throughout the impressive season they have been playing.

For his first year, Dorfman has already started with a bang. From being a co-male first-year student of the year, East Coast conference newcomer, and goalkeeper of the year, and now becoming a champion. He shared these thoughts on the recent victory and overall season they have been having.

“Coming into this season, a lot of people did not have much, if any, expectations for our performance this year due to losing so many seniors and fifth-years last year. But we knew we had something special from the first practice, and this team could do the job.”

He added that the team might not be the most skilled or the biggest, strongest, or fastest, but it has the most heart.

“Everyone on our team believes in the guy to our right and left and knows what we can do. We have had to deal with a lot of adversity and a bunch of tough games that we could pull out a win and a heartbreaking overtime loss that we all wish we could have back, but you have to lose sometimes to win. We still have a lot to accomplish and jobs not finished, but we will all have each other’s back the entire way, which is what will carry us far.

Mercy senior Tyler Pjatak is one of the players on the team who has had an impressive four-year run on the men’s lacrosse team. In 2023, he was named USILA Third Team All-American and Second Team All-Region. In 2022, he was named ECC Defensive Player of the Week and all ECC Honor Roll. The senior also gives his thoughts on the performance they have been having this season.

“I know everyone has one goal: winning a national championship. Before the season started, I think a common theme was being discussed: We lost all our grad seniors. We weren’t supposed to be as good, so proving those people wrong and returning to the national championship is the ultimate goal. Coach Macspadyen always tells us there is a standard in our men’s lacrosse program that needs to be met, which speaks for itself for our future here at Mercy.

They have done it again. Winning the big one. Not once, not twice, but five times on back-to-back occasions. This has been their most dominant year so far. It is essential to have skillful players who can hold their own and, most importantly, know what it takes to play as a team—having a great support system and controlling the outcome. Saturday was the day they knew what it took to win, and, in the end, they did just that. This was an excellent season for the team, and the mercy community expects more success to come within the team.