OP/ED: Could this be the end?

Dec. 21, 2012, is the day that the world is supposed to end and the world turns to flames and swallows itself.

A year ago, everyone was so anxious about the world ending in 2012. It is less than a month away and I haven’t heard a word about it.

Everyone just stopped worrying and decided to live life or they simply forgot about it. It is quite hilarious because I am not a believer of our newest apocalypse, which means that I don’t think just because the Mayan calendar ends on Dec. 21 that the world is going to implode and we all just vanish from the earth.  We have been through so much this month with a hurricane and a snow storm, but we have made it through stronger than ever.

There have been multiple occasions that everyone doubted the world and thought it would end. Y2K was supposed to be the end of civilization as we know it, and people were supposed to spend all their money because the year 2000 was coming and banks would lose our savings and checkings history. People were wrong about Y2K, yet leading up to 2012 we had other reason for people to go crazy.

I don’t believe anything out of the ordinary is going to happen on Dec. 21 and I am definitely not doing anything drastic. Some people think that 2012 is really going to happen but other people just laughed when I asked them their opinions on the topic.

“I’ve heard that the world is going to end according to the Mayan calendar,” said Yul Yang a junior at Mercy College. “I also heard that this is a fraud and this isn’t real. Personally, I think that the world is still going to be around but I think something is going to change throughout the world. Right now Siberia, Russia is really cold but I think that tables are going to be turned and it is going to get hot. I don’t know how this is going to actually happen and I’m just predicting but I feel like something is going to go wrong after this year.”

Many people don’t agree with Yang and some actually believe that nothing is going to happen and this is all a lie.

“I have never heard of this, but now that I know of it I wouldn’t believe it,” said Nicole Kline a sophomore at Mercy College. “Someone always says something about the world ending every year. I am so sick of believing these people like it is actually going to happen and I am going to just live my life. [I am going to] take one day at a time.”

Many people put the religious aspect into the theory and think that Jesus said that world is going to end.  This leads people who are religious to believe that the world is going to end but Jesus never said the world would be destroyed he said the temple would be “torn down.”  Many religious people would think that the world is the temple and that it is eventually going to be torn down and end.

“I think this is a misconception of the temple being torn down due to the fact that there is no scientific proof that the world is close to coming to an end,” said Ricky Quinones, a freshman at Mercy College. “Nothing on our radar shows that the world is going to make a drastic change. Yes, there is global warming on our radar but that has been visible for quite some time. Dec. 21 2012 isn’t going to be the last day of the world.”

Now we just are going to have to wait and find out, and maybe rent the movie 2012 in the meantime.