English Education Career Fair

Bronx Boro President Ruben Diaz made a guest appearance at Lehman College during the career fair for teachers in the education field. The cold, rainy weather dampered the outcome of the event. Nevertheless, when asked if  he was satisfied about the turnout he replied cooly, “Yes.” His speech consisted of the importance of childhood education and the progress he hopes to encounter in the near future. He discussed plans for providing job opportunites in the Bronx and flourishing over the years. “My mother’s last day as a childhood educator was yesterday,” announces Diaz. The importance of the fair was to save those who were put out of jobs in the education field and to inform others about remaining in it. The main point many advisors wanted to address is the merge of higher education with childhood education. More programs needs to be created to supply those who have interest in the field with the necessary information and certification to succeed. Diaz emphasized that besides creating programs, tution assistance, reduction in school costs, funding, and strong curriculums should also be available. “Although there is a shortage of job opportunities in this field, I am impressed with the amount of work educators reveal into being sucessful,” stated Diaz.

Surrounding the gym, colleges from the participating area had tables set up ready to discuss further action in helping educators in any way; Monroe, Lehman, Hostos and Mercy were included. I approached the Mercy College table where there were three advisors from the Bronx campus attentively waiting. After I explained that I attended Mercy College’s Dobbs Ferry Campus and shared my fustration in the English Education career, they all chimed in helpful advice. Things became clearer as they revealed the necessary requirements needed to pursue a job after graduating with a degree. I was also offered a achance to attend workshops that would develop my skills in the set field and prepare me for the online certification needed to work. I thanked the advisors for their helpful advice, for they were very knowledgeable in the area. Afterwards, I approached three elderly educators about their thoughts of the online testing required of all who aspire to become a teacher. “It is easily accessible from many college websites,” one commented. “I would get on it quick if I were you because they are about to update them come May.” Although slightly disappointed about the false advertisement in providing jobs, I left satisfied on the information I received and the positive feedback from others who share the same dream and reality as I do.