A Mixture of Fiction and Self Improvement

My Reading Journey of The Alchemist
Nate Singleton

I love reading, an underrated hobby, but fiction wasn’t a genre that piqued my interest. I enjoy picking out books in the ‘Live With A Purpose’ section in Barnes & Noble. So, when I picked up The Alchemist by Brazilian writer Paulo Coelho, it was a step into a different area of written works.

In the first part, a few points stuck inside my head and are navigating me this year. I am just turning 23 and entering my senior year of college. My mindset has to continue growing, like the responsibilities on their way.

Coelho wrote in the forward of the novel that he wanted to write about his soul and his quest to find his treasure. Without the idea of this book reaching the heights it would eventually come to see, he wanted to talk about fictionalizing his spiritual journey.

The internationally best-selling novel was written in 1988. It follows the mystical journey of Santiago, a young shepherd boy from Spain who travels to Egypt searching for a buried treasure he had seen in a recurring dream.

The readers follow the boy from his homeland Spain to meet a king who convinces him to sell his sheep and let go of the fear that holds most people back from ever achieving their legends. Santiago’s first day in Morocco ends with him getting robbed.

Due to his beginning in a foreign land with no money, the boy works at a crystal shop for a year with a man who stopped chasing his legend because he was afraid of the success he would have if he succeeded. Santiago planned to return home but was on a caravan crossing the desert to Egypt. This is where the identity of an Alchemist is introduced, and my connection to the book deepens.

My connection with the books is linked to the common theme of personal legends and omens.

“To find the treasure, you will have to follow the omens. God has prepared a path for everyone to follow. You just have to read the omens that he left for you.”

As adulthood stares me directly in the face, I often have difficulty knowing where I wish to proceed. Where do I want to live? What do I see myself doing for the next couple of years career-wise? Who do I see myself being romantically involved with?

I’ve been a go-with-the-flow type of person for most of my life and try my best not to force things, but reading this line has confirmed that the path is set already. I only have to be patient and do the best of my ability, and I can achieve my “treasure” just like Coelho and Santiago.

The universe not only speaks to you but also listens. Speak some things in the universe, and they’ll appear just like the late rapper Nipsey Hussle said. Be impeccable with your word, as it says in The Four Agreements. 

The world is for the taking. Everyone’s world is different as well. So, don’t feel rushed if things don’t go the way you want them to. There is a bigger picture. Don’t lose focus.

The Alchemist stands as a metaphor for one’s self-discovery and spiritual enlightenment.

” ‘Maktub. If I am a part of your dream, you’ll come back one day.’ “

The caravan stopped at an oasis in the desert due to an ongoing war. Amidst stopping, Santiago met a girl named Fatima, with whom he instantly fell in love. He fell so hard that he believed she was the treasure he had dreamt about.

Her being a woman of the desert, knew this wasn’t the case and pleaded that he not give up. She witnessed her father leave and return to her mother, so it was her turn to experience this and allow Santigo to continue living his legend.

I’ve learned that a man’s purpose is, if not the highest, one of the highest priorities that we will ever have.

“To realize one’s destiny is a person’s only obligation”

Distractions are all around us. Watching television, playing video games, smoking, drinking, parting, etc. A lot of things keep us from reaching our full potential. In some cases, even love does this. Self-awareness and love from others keep a person moving forward in the journey.

If we cease the continuation of going towards our legends, regret may arise, and the journey could end altogether. Fatima is an ideal omen for the story because she reminds the boy that going to Egypt is necessary.

The boy leaves the oasis and continues his search for his treasure. He and the alchemist spent the last few moments together, captured and fighting for their life. The boy learned how to become wind for the tribal chiefs and was granted their release. Upon being released, the two split, and Santigo reaches the pyramids and starts digging.

Only to get spotted and beaten mercilessly by three men.